We have a 20mph speed limit on our High St....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Not hard, is it......?

GrasB

Veteran
I used to live near a 20mph limit & I hated it, it was okay at first but didn't really give much benefit (it was put in place to stop boy racers doing silly speeds through the middle of the village in the middle of the night, it didn't work). Once motorists got used to it however we had cars doing anything between 10mph & 45mph. :banghead:

Drago

Legendary Member
Lovely. I'd lobby for one in our village, but most actual residents of our village don't feel the need to stick to the existing limit as it is, although they all exercise their blinkered drivers hypocrisy to complain when commuters passing through treat it like Santa Pod.

carolonabike

We have a 20mph limit on the side roads in our village and it has made a difference to traffic speed. Not everyone, but many people have slowed down. My sister lives in Poynton where they are experimenting with a shared space system where no one user has priority. A lot of people were sceptical and I suspect many motorists passing through think it's a backward step but it seems to me to have made a difference. Kerbs have been lowered and there is a blurring between road and pavements with regular blocks of different coloured stone to suggest crossing points. Traffic lights have been removed with the result that at the very busy junction of Park Lane and the A523 cars have no choice but to slow down. There was a bit of initial confusion with some tooting and gesturing but it seems to have settled down and certianly looks very nice.

I've never cycled along there but from a pedestrian point of view it is a huge improvement

Globalti

Legendary Member
We are in line for this in our street, which is used a s a rat-run. As it is I usually drive at around 20 mph just to hinder the short-cutters in the hope they will stick on the main road next time.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
indeed, its smashing to use although I notice more and more bollards being installed recently. perhaps signs that some are confused by the lack of boundary?

Looks like the lighting columns in the middle of the road (assuming that's what they are) create a hell of a lot of unnecessary pinch points. I wonder why on earth they didn't stick'em to one side? It's also a shame its such a busy road - full of the usual dumb parking too. Take out the private motorised transport and it would 100 times more pleasant. Looks like yet another half arsed british effort to me

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Looks like the lighting columns in the middle of the road (assuming that's what they are) create a hell of a lot of unnecessary pinch points. I wonder why on earth they didn't stick'em to one side? It's also a shame its such a busy road - full of the usual dumb parking too. Take out the private motorised transport and it would 100 times more pleasant. Looks like yet another half arsed british effort to me

I agree pinch points are abundant...but...I suspect that is by design and it seems to encourage a sense of "hold on, take your time, what's this all about then". However like I mentioned the bottom of the road (down by the V&A) is now peppered with road side bollards, perhaps to stop the daft parking that you mention

20mph is a strait line cruising speed for most of us cyclists on here. Surely the main purpose of employing an engine is to get from a to b quicker? Why deliberately defeat the purpose of what is otherwise a fine invention (internal combustion engine). Im all for safety but not THAT much for it. We need a balance between sense and safety.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Our town centre got the first 20mph zone in the country. It won prizes when it was introduced. But over the years drivers have become used to it and they don't drive through it at 20mph any more. :sad:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I agree pinch points are abundant...but...I suspect that is by design and it seems to encourage a sense of "hold on, take your time, what's this all about then". However like I mentioned the bottom of the road (down by the V&A) is now peppered with road side bollards, perhaps to stop the daft parking that you mention

I guess you need to cycle along it to get a proper idea. I'm off to London next month for work with the Brompton so may take a detour!

Top Bottom