We have a 20mph speed limit on our High St....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
[QUOTE 2245303, member: 45"]Ah, you need the community to maintain it.

You should walk out into the road more often.[/quote]

We should all walk out into the road more often, if only to wind up the more uptight sorts in Commuting. :smile:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 2245303, member: 45"]Ah, you need the community to maintain it.

You should walk out into the road more often.[/quote]
Seeing how the community use it is fascinating, when introduced folk used to wander about willy-nilly in a very liberating fashion, but my how it has changed. Now we see....

the row of 4WD and people movers displaying blue badges parked on the double yellow lines outside Waitrose (and blocking the buses)

the reps and boy racers racing the lights at the new bus station, built inside the zone after the zone was created

the horn honkers who get frustrated with the zebra crossing that had to be reinstated

the pedestrians turning their ankles on the cobbled road surface that go unmaintained

the disabled demonstrating that they are being segregated as part of it is now pedestrian (& cyclist) only from 10:00 - 16:00 daily

A town centre zone doesn't work in a town where the car dominates the surroundings in the rest of the town and town centre, other shared space users are cowed and bullied by the motor traffic into 'knowing their place' (as one wag said to me on our town centre 30mph limit dual carriageway "you've got no business being on a bike on this road") and that power-dynamic overspills into the zone.

You see, we can 'reclaim the streets', but how long afterwards can we then hold on to them?

GrasB

Veteran
[QUOTE 2244709, member: 45"]So you didn't like the limit because people were ignoring it? I'm not clear.[/quote]
I don't like it because it maked it much harder to actually cross the road in the longer term & created a very large speed difference between the vehicle speeds. When it was a 30 limit you could glance down the road & know if it was okay to cross or not, you still had to do this when the 20 limit was put in but about 2-3 years after that you had to stop every time.

GrasB

Veteran
[QUOTE 2246302, member: 45"]So it's not about the limit, but stupid drivers? Maybe we have a better class down here.[/quote]
It's about the limit because the limit effects peoples attitude!

Over several years after the limit came into force a strong opinion & attitude divide became apparent in the community. This polarisation lead to people acting in irrational ways when driving through the village (or more specifically down one of the two main roads in the village). The thing is, the main roads were quite narrow, this meant that between 8:00am & 6:00pm the average speed was significantly less than 20mph when the 30mph limit was in place.

It's worth mentioning that this was over 2-3 year. The locals got used to having a 20mph limit & a significant minority of people just ignoring common sense & doing silly speed through the village.

Linford

Gloucester has a shared space. It frustrates motor traffic and pedestrians feel very uneasy when stepping out in front of a car. It is a bit pants from a peds viewpoint but i avoid it like the plague on a ptw or car as it is just an artificial traffic jam. It just looks like idealistic nonsense to me

400bhp

Guru
Gloucester has a shared space. It frustrates motor traffic and pedestrians feel very uneasy when stepping out in front of a car. It is a bit pants from a peds viewpoint but i avoid it like the plague on a ptw or car as it is just an artificial traffic jam. It just looks like idealistic nonsense to me

awwwwww :laugh:

sheddy

Legendary Member
Do we have any more success stories to share ?

Our CC have gone very cold on 20mph limits

Top Bottom