We need a CCTV. What's best?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Yes, thank you. Sorry to be PIA but this is all new to me, and we are feeling fragile after yet another Police visit!!!

No worries at all, I do think an 'out-of-the-box' all in one solution will be your best bet for simplicity of setup. Swann have good technical support and documentation too so there will be plenty of documentation to help you during setup. You just need to consider camera locations and cable runs back to DVR / router etc.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Lorex & Swan wired system here, hard drive accessible over internet if away. Quality recording day and night in HD, very good.

OP falling out with neighbours, bit like he does on Cycle Chat ? :whistle:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have two ieGeek Cameras. Bought off Amazon. Approximately £60 each.

I have one at front of house, and, one at rear.

They are wireless and re-chargeable battery operated, so, no wires.

If you can download an APP, you can "instal" and operate these things.

The battery lasts for about three months for us, but, I have now bought a Solar Panel (Amazon), which charges the battery continually. So far (about 9 months), it has all worked well.

You can record to an SD card, or, you can record to "the cloud" (there is a small fee for this). You can view "live" footage via the App, on your phone or tablet, and, there is audio, so you can speak to someone remotely. (I use the front one to detect deliveries to front door, when I am in garden at rear).

I am sure there are many others, but, the ieGeek works for me, and, it is inexpensive.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
OP falling out with neighbours, bit like he does on Cycle Chat ? :whistle:
Sorry, wrong again. They accused me of smashing their car up. I was nowhere near it, and there was no damage, but son who assaulted me is off his head on drugs.
Pulled me off a ladder, then assaulted the plumber who I was helping fit a new boiler. Thought I shouldn't park within 2 metres of his car. Mummy took son's side and he has continued to assault me and wife.
Police have given him two warnings and told him if he does it again he will be arrested.
We are trying to avoid them (like some on here🥴)

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
I have two ieGeek Cameras. Bought off Amazon. Approximately £60 each.

I have one at front of house, and, one at rear.

They are wireless and re-chargeable battery operated, so, no wires.

If you can download an APP, you can "instal" and operate these things.

The battery lasts for about three months for us, but, I have now bought a Solar Panel (Amazon), which charges the battery continually. So far (about 9 months), it has all worked well.

You can record to an SD card, or, you can record to "the cloud" (there is a small fee for this). You can view "live" footage via the App, on your phone or tablet, and, there is audio, so you can speak to someone remotely. (I use the front one to detect deliveries to front door, when I am in garden at rear).

I am sure there are many others, but, the ieGeek works for me, and, it is inexpensive.
Very interesting. Is the SD card in the camera, and can you point me at your solar panel?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Very interesting. Is the SD card in the camera, and can you point me at your solar panel?

I have:

one camera like so at front of house

one camera like so, at rear of house

I have one ieGeek solar panel

and, another like so, because ieGeek out of stock (stuck on ship in Suez Canal?)

You can buy the camera and panel as a single purchase (apron £100 the pair), strangely, they do seem to have stock of that combination.

The SD Card is inside the camera. I have 32GB cards in mine, but, I think it will take bigger capacity cards.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
I have:

one camera like so at front of house

one camera like so, at rear of house

I have one ieGeek solar panel

and, another like so, because ieGeek out of stock (stuck on ship in Suez Canal?)

You can buy the camera and panel as a single purchase (apron £100 the pair), strangely, they do seem to have stock of that combination.

The SD Card is inside the camera. I have 32GB cards in mine, but, I think it will take bigger capacity cards.
That's super, thank you @BoldonLad . I've been digging on these, and they do seem to be top of the list at present.
The only thing I'm unsure about is what App do you use. When I look for iGeek all I get is a list of third party apps.
Have you found a dedicated one? If not which do you use?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The only thing I'm unsure about is what App do you use. When I look for iGeek all I get is a list of third party apps.
Have you found a dedicated one? If not which do you use?

According to the spec on that first A.mazon page, the camera: “Only works with CouldEdge app, other 3rd party apps not supported.”

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
I've got wansview cameras from amazon.
Cheap and decent quality pictures. Connect to wifi and mobile phone and alert when there is movement.
You can pay a small subscription fee every month to store the data or, like me, use an sd card to record.
Bought them as a bit of fun but come in handy when away from home.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Sorry, wrong again. They accused me of smashing their car up. I was nowhere near it, and there was no damage, but son who assaulted me is off his head on drugs.
Pulled me off a ladder, then assaulted the plumber who I was helping fit a new boiler. Thought I shouldn't park within 2 metres of his car. Mummy took son's side and he has continued to assault me and wife.
Police have given him two warnings and told him if he does it again he will be arrested.

Sorry to hear that, shitty neighbours are a nightmare.

stephec

Legendary Member

And you wonder why some scummies have no fear of the law, you would've thought that he'd have been arrested first time round as a bare minimum.

OP
OP
D

Darius_Jedburgh

Veteran
And you wonder why some scummies have no fear of the law, you would've thought that he'd have been arrested first time round as a bare minimum.
Guess that's our fault. Plumber and I were pressed by Police to bring charges. But plod went down the usual CBA route of telling us that we would have to go to the station "now" to give statements. "Could take all afternoon" and then he went on about all the rigmarole of going to court etc.
We wanted to get the boiler in and the hole bricked up, which plod new.
Plus we still have to live next door to them and in the mistaken belief that it was a one off we just let it ride. We hoped that once he'd calmed down sanity would prevail. No such luck.
A week later he leant over the fence and turned a pressure washer on me. 3 days later he forcefully shoved our wheelie bin into my wife. All the while screaming and shouting obscenities at us.
They have lived here 6 years and the guy has never spoken to us till this. We are worried.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Oh dear.
Just had a look at that app and feedback is appalling. Full of bugs, updates create chaos, no contact details etc. Most of it recent.

The App is CloudEdge. There is a funny bar code thing with camera to download it.

I am aware of the bad reviews, but... it has worked absolutely fine for me. Having said that, I don't do anything particularly clever:

- I adjusted the Motion Detection on the front door camera, to eliminate false hits when people walk along the street.
- I turn motion detection off on one or both cameras if we are working in garden, or otherwise in garden (eg drinking wine) to avoid constants "pings".
- I occasionally use the App to speak to a delivery person
- I adjusted the length of clip recorded when movement is detected.

all of these things have worked faultlessly.

I have iPhone, if that matters to you, so, cannot speak for Android version.

Top Bottom