We Pay Your VAT!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
They cannot "pay your VAT", they are just giving you an equivalent discount. Checking any invoice which you receive from them will confirm the VAT breakdown.

I suspect if you read the small print they are in fact just giving you a discount equivalent to the amount of the VAT. Your receipt will still show the amount of cash handed over the counter including the VAT element (which, if you are a VAT registered business, you would reclaim in the usual way).

Like wot I said a page ago then Norm?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've often wondered how many so-called 'we pay the vat' promotions are actually on items that are zero rated…

Norm

Like wot I said a page ago then Norm?
Close to but not quite. ;)

There is no "I suspect". It would be tax fraud for the supplier to "pay your VAT".

Aside from that, it would be of no benefit to business customers or to people who can reclaim the expenses through a company for the supplier to "pay your VAT" as those people could reclaim the VAT anyway.

mrlogic1.jpg

;)

Guilty as charged! Although in my defence, just because lots of people do it does not mean it is OK!

Dont get me started on "Haitch"!

PK99

Legendary Member
Another one that really annoys me is the BOGOF offer. It encourages waste.

Why not just half price?

Because BOGOF tempts more punters not intending to buy in the first place that does a half price offer - plus not everyone takes the BOGOF (I don't on soft fruit) but everyone gets a half price discount.

Plus of course, the likes of Tesco make the supplier carry the full cost of the BOGOF but have to carry at least part of the cost of the half price offer themselves

albal

Guru
currently on a job see the gear 'folk' throw away is un f++++n believable. They earned good money just to do this.

You beat me to it! How do they get away with that?

in the case of unlimited broadband, if you have a, for example, talk talk package that is 'unlimited' for £20 per month and are like me, using it to watch iplayer, e-mails, forums etc then you are unlikely to have a problem with the limit that is in place that is termed 'fair use'

however, if you are a business doing tech support where you regularly use the internet to remotely access machines and downloading large amounts of data you will go over the limit, but then again, you're running a business, a domestic package is not intended for your needs, you need a business package.

the charges bundled in with the business package reflect more accurately your usage - you need more so should pay for more.

the limit is there to stop businesses using domestic packages and the provider loosing money through it.

the other reason is to try and curb downloading of films / music etc via file sharing programs or torrents both of which are not strictly legal.

the trick is to look at the fair use policy for the provider you are looking at going with, BT have told me off for using too much internet when talk talk have never done so.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
in the case of unlimited broadband ... (etc.)
I know all that and I can see why they restrict users' activities.

I'm simply saying that 'unlimited' is a simple English word which means 'without limits'.

A 'fair usage' clause is a limit, so the ISPs are lying when they say it is unlimited.

So I repeat - How do they get away with lying like that?

Just because most ISPs do it doesn't make it right. Their ads should say something like "blah blah blah ... with an extremely generous XYZ GB monthly download limit."

Top Bottom