Weak Front Brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

illuminato

I had a previous incident with my bike (I fell off my bike and slightly damaged my hand brake) and the front brake got bent. Now when I try to use the front brake, it is very weak (when I ride the bike and fully depress the front brake, the bike does not stop quickly). I tried to fine-tune the disk brake caliper (I did it many times before), and it looks good and tight, but the front brake. What could be the reasons for this?

PXL_20230210_215041056.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyBa

Not sure I understand "weak".
With the brake cable detached does the handle move freely or is it binding?
Probably best replace the combined brake/gear lever with either a new one or an good secondhand one.

Reactions: C R

Cycleops

Legendary Member
:welcome: to the forum.

From your pic I can see the cable looks like it has been pulled into the groove which facilitates cable removal, narrowed by your fall no doubt. You should be able to open it out with a screwdriver. Remove the cable and see if the lever operates freely, if not you may be able to bend it so it does but beware too much and the lever could break. If this fails to solve the problem you’re into a new brake/shifter assembly unless you’re able to source a replacement lever.

brucers

Guru
It may be that the cable has stretched or been pulled out of the screw that holds it (at the brake end of the bike). If so loosen screw and pull some cable through.
You do need to do as the chap above says first though, as there is a good chance that being (seemingly) stuck in there, that it is preventing the cable from moving enough to close the brakes onto the wheel.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
It may be that the cable has stretched or been pulled out of the screw that holds it (at the brake end of the bike).
The stainless steel cable cannot "stretch" (beyond the (elastic) normal fractions of a mm dependent on Young's modulus.
The cable clamp bolt at the mechanical disc brake is I guess 'screw' to which you're referring, but from the OP text it sounds as if they have fettled that end as best they can, multiple times.
Taking the top off the brake/shifter assembly (two easy screws) may offer clues if the issue is within (which is likely).
OP has not been back since posting 36 hours ago. Where's their sense of life priority: CycleChat is answering!

brucers

Guru
The stainless steel cable cannot "stretch" (beyond the (elastic) normal fractions of a mm dependent on Young's modulus.
The cable clamp bolt at the mechanical disc brake is I guess 'screw' to which you're referring, but from the OP text it sounds as if they have fettled that end as best they can, multiple times.
Taking the top off the brake/shifter assembly (two easy screws) may offer clues if the issue is within (which is likely).
OP has not been back since posting 36 hours ago. Where's their sense of life priority: CycleChat is answering!

I do not deny that many parts titles are unknown to me, although sometimes layman terminology can be useful. I hope we have all helped the OP in some way.....if they decide to come back that is!

OP
OP
illuminato

illuminato

Thank you for your advice. Sorry for not responding, had some issues in my personal life. After your advice and watching numerous YouTube videos, I identified that a possible problem is with brake pads, and indeed, they had some oil on them. I cleaned them with acetone (I had to soak them in it for an hour) and disks. The bike now breaks strongly and works perfectly. Thank you once more for your help!

Top Bottom