wear indicator on rs 11 wheelset ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
If it not visible, then it's worn down and the rim is end of life Or you are looking in the wrong place.

Are they old rims, done a lot of miles?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
the vast majority are either a groove all the way round or a small hole in one place on the brake track, sometime helpfully with a ^ or V and "RWI", on the rim just off the braking track. They disappear when worn, so either your rim's knackered or your glasses need replacing:okay:

Last edited:
As has been said wear indicators usually disappear from view, but unless both rims are well hammered and beyond wear limit you should still see the telltales on one rim (rear usually).

If the rims are noticeably concave then they are probably toast.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If the rims are noticeably concave then they are probably toast.
I have a Campagnolo Neutron front wheel put to one side because of that, after a stupid decision to ride my best bike through a gritty winter.

I'm wondering if I could possibly get away with riding on it if I avoid any future rides in 'grinding paste' conditions? It's 80 km/hr descents that worry me... Having a rim disintegrate at high speed would probably not be a fabulous experience!

Is it possible to measure the thickness of rim braking surface remaining, and if so, how thick does it need to be?

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I have a Campagnolo Neutron front wheel put to one side because of that, after a stupid decision to ride my best bike through a gritty winter.

I'm wondering if I could possibly get away with riding on it if I avoid any future rides in 'grinding paste' conditions? It's 80 km/hr descents that worry me... Having a rim disintegrate at high speed would probably not be a fabulous experience!

Is it possible to measure the thickness of rim braking surface remaining, and if so, how thick does it need to be?

I bought some dental calipers from ebay to measure rim thickness.
It's handy to know how thick they started though.

You need an iwanson guage, it's a simple way of measuring around the hook of the rim on a likely tapered profile, 1mm usually quoted as minimum, you can do a spot reading with a deflated tyre, but if reading is close to 1mm then pop the tyre off and do a few places on each rim wall. Loads of guages on eBay.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You need an iwanson guage, it's a simple way of measuring around the hook of the rim on a likely tapered profile, 1mm usually quoted as minimum, you can do a spot reading with a deflated tyre, but if reading is close to 1mm then pop the tyre off and do a few places on each rim wall. Loads of guages on eBay.

I'd never heard of them. It seems that they are used in dentistry, arts and crafts and so on. I found one for £3.99 incl. p&p.

I've decided to be sensible though! It is a bit of a waste of a good wheel, but I'll relegate it to my turbo trainer bike. I'll keep the old Aksium that is currently on the trainer bike as a spare.

Top Bottom