Weather in Northern Spain (Gijion) in April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HormyAJP

Hi all,

I'm considering doing a week's cycling holiday somewhere in Spain. Dates are fixed at 12-18th April. I'm currently looking at Northern Spain, probably basing myself around Gijon. I'm trying to figure out if it's too early in the year to go there. The average temperature looks acceptable (approx 15C) but I'm concerned both about rain/wind and temperatures at altitude (big climbs will be on the menu).

Anyone any experience here? If it's too cold (or weather is chancy) then I'm happy to divert and head somewhere more Southerly. In either case, opinions about location and climbs also welcome.

Cheers!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

MarkF

Guru
It is my favourite cycling destination.:okay:

The weather is as unpredictable as it is in the UK, I've been in August and had rain 24/7 and been in March when I've been too hot climbing. Overlooked Gijon is a great place to stay, have a wander around Cimadevilla and San Lorenzo beach, a ride West to Aviles is also worth it for the historic center and the Oscar Neimeyer cultural complex and a ride East takes you to the lovely resort of Ribadsella from where you have many great climbs into the Picos, Covadonga is a must see. Tbh heading anywhere from Gijon will soon see you climbing.

The area is spectacularly beautiful and is not called "Natural Paradise" for nothing.

asturias-paisaje.jpg

I cycled Santander along the coast to Malaga one April - Rained all the way to the Portuguese border :sad: - a bit of sleet - plenty of fresh snow on the hills overlooking the coast - limped at times from cafe to cafe - sea was spectacular in the odd clear spells - as soon as I crossed over the river into Portugal the weather cleared up ^_^

OP
OP
H

HormyAJP

Thanks for the replies and apologies about the slow reply. The general vibe I get is that rain will be my enemy at this time of year. Since the tempeature is also relatively low I think this would be an issue.

We've decided to go to Majorca instead as that's a much safer bet.

Thanks for the feedback nonetheless.

MarkF

Guru
Thanks for the replies and apologies about the slow reply. The general vibe I get is that rain will be my enemy at this time of year. Since the tempeature is also relatively low I think this would be an issue.

We've decided to go to Majorca instead as that's a much safer bet.

Thanks for the feedback nonetheless.

B.o.r.i.n.g.

Asturias is wonderful, I dream about it. :smile:

Top Bottom