Weekend touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am looking to do a weekend tour and thinking of doing Glastonbury to Weymouth.thinking of using youth hostels and b&b.
I have never done touring before, would that be to much for a first tour ? Or would I be better doing shorter tour.
Regards Iain

Gretah65

As the ad says: just do it. My first solo tour was part of the Loire a velo...what a blast. Two weeks all on my lonesome. I can't wait to go back and finish it this Summer.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Go for it and enjoy.
I did my first tour last year, (see my sig below for a link to my 'Crazy guy' journal) I had intended to do a weekend tour first but it never happened. I'm just trying to decide on this years tour.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Iain,

You may also like to look at :

Warmshowers.com

Couchsurfers

Hostelworld.com

Three sites I have used in the past and all very good.

Steve

rollinstok

Go for it and best of luck. Maybe I,m just a grumpy old git but hostels are sometimes too noisy for me. Much prefer to camp or b&b.

Not a bad choice for a first time weekend, and a nice milage as well, Just go for it, I always tour by myself, and never find any shortage of Peeps to chat with when I stop for a break. once you have a idea of your final route, put it on here, then peeps can tell you if there are places or roads to avoid. Looking at the Map I see if need be you have a railway line which runs most of the way back towards your start point, which is always a nice backup to have if things go pear shaped.

Brommyboy

Über Member
My experience of YHA is that pre-booking is essential as many hostels are closed to members when school parties are in residence! Other than that, just get on the bike and pedal into enjoyment.

rollinstok

My experience of YHA is that pre-booking is essential as many hostels are closed to members when school parties are in residence! Other than that, just get on the bike and pedal into enjoyment.

Up North the Hostels are usually chocker and you have to book a couple of months in advance.. I gave up my membership a few years ago when it was virtually impossible to just take off when I fancied. I have found b&b,s that are much cosier for just a little more money..bliss:smile:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Do not mistake Hostelworld as a site that only supplies hostels. It does not and it is a terrible name for the site.

We have stayed in places all over Europe using Hostelworld and we have never stayed in anything that resembled a hostel.

But we have stayed in an old monastary in Calci, near Pisa. A tudor mansion in Brugges and a wonderful apartment overlooking the arena in Verona. All for less than a 3 star hotel in the UK. We had the whole of the tudor mansion to ourselves. It was like being Charles and Diana. Very surreal.

Hostelworld is woth looking at and so is:

http://www.airbnb.com/search

Steve

Top Bottom