"Weekend warriors" get as much benefit from exercise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Why assume that warm-up and warm-down are included in the 30 minutes (or even happen at all - I rarely do either when I go for a ride, and I'm sure many people don't).

Unless you are a professional elite level athlete, there will always be people stronger and fitter than you, regardless of how much you exercise.

Though there aren't many people exercising as much as the 2 hours a day you are doing. Most of us just don't have the time for that.

I assumed warm-up and warm-down are included in the 30 minutes because as you say many people don't. Therefore the first 5-6 minutes, perhaps more, is effectively the warm-up period rather than something people do before starting to exercise.

I don't exercise two hours a day but about 900 minutes a week, 15 hours. Basically 3 x 60 mile rides as a minimum, anything above this is a bonus, and 25 minutes stretches/exercises in the early morning every day. I quite agree most people don't have time for this, it's the joy of being retired, and this is why I question how it's beneficial. If one looks up the definition of 150 minutes moderate activity it's nothing very onerous. As I said I don't question the science, wouldn't dream of it, but find it difficult to understand how this is the case.

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
For 9 of the 28 weeks so far this year I have only done 3 rides, each of 30 minutes duration. 19 of the 28 weeks have involved only 3 or 4 rides and less than 5 hours cycling. I am still getting fitter as the year progresses, and not just when I do longer, harder rides.

The 30 minute rides are very beneficial. I do them in one gear - it used to be 52/19 but now it is an almost identical 42/15, approximately 72 gear inches. That means I am overgeared for any climbing that I do, and I seek out little hills in Todmorden that are a real effort in that 72" gear so I rapidly switch between hard climbing, easy spinning, and downhill freewheeling. It means that I am effectively doing intervals.

Most of those rides are the long way round to the local shops. I could walk to Aldi in 5 minutes but I do this loop instead. I carry a pannier and a heavy D-lock on the way out and the pannier is full of shopping on the way back.

I can assure you that doing the little climbs on this loop in a 72" gear with extra weight on the bike feels tough.

Shopping ride route:
View attachment 699260

I had not done very much more than those little rides before going down to Devon at the end of the winter. I had no problem going out there and doing a 70 km forum ride with significant Devon hilliness on the route. And I haven't had any problem stepping up to longer, harder routes either.

I completely agree with you and I think you missed my point. I was talking about the NHS definition of 150 minutes moderate aerobic activity which is nothing like what you are doing. The type of riding you describe, effectively intervals, is great training. I have a local loop of 4.5 miles which I ride three times and gives 14.8 miles, 1200 feet in 50/60 minutes depending on conditions and me! I find it very beneficial, especially when I'm trying to build up my climbing

OP
OP
UphillSlowly

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
On a similar theme of exercise for longevity, in the news.yesterday:
Screenshot_20230725_072718.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/society...fe-researchers-say?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Jameshow

Veteran

No sweat sherlock!🤣🤣🤣

Top Bottom