"Weekend warriors" get as much benefit from exercise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Though there aren't many people exercising as much as the 2 hours a day you are doing. Most of us just don't have the time for that.

For many people their only exercise involves walking to / from their car, and pushing a trolley round a supermarket. If a motorised trolley existed they’d probably use that. Two hours a week of what you’d call “exercise” (as a separate thing) would be ambitious for them.

Vast majority don’t even hit 150 mins a week, nor get anywhere close.

Alex321

Veteran
Or even the inclination.

In any given normal week I do around 6 hours mixed exercise on top of stuff I do around the house etc.

Any more than that would quite frankly bore the pants off of me.

Well I have done 151 hours of cycling so far tis year, according to Strava, and we are in week 29, so that is an average of (very roughly) 5 hours per week. I would prefer to do more, but I work full time, and have a wife, and a house to maintain, plus several other hobbies (one of which - Morris Dancing - accounts for another hour or two of exercise most weeks, more when we have a booking to dance at the weekend in addition to our regular Thursday evening).

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Some people do have the time. Most of us really don't until we are retired, unless we want to give up doing anything else fun.

Well you have 168 hours in the week, sleep 56 hours, work 40 hours. That leaves you 72 hours every week to divvy up between your priorities. You are assigning 8% of available time (once work and sleep excluded) to exercise, which is fine.

stephec

Legendary Member
Morris Dancing - accounts for another hour or two of exercise most weeks, more when we have a booking to dance at the weekend in addition to our regular Thursday evening).

Don't you end up putting most of the calories back on in beer afterwards though? 🍻😂

Alex321

Veteran
Don't you end up putting most of the calories back on in beer afterwards though? 🍻😂

I don't do it to lose calories (or weight). Exercise for me is mainly about fitness (apart from the fact I do both cycling and Morris Dancing for fun), not about weight loss, although of course using more calories than I'm consuming does result in weight loss.

Jameshow

Veteran
My mate commutes an 1he each day so 5hrs a week. Probably rides 1month together with me or solo.

I ride / run 3 /4 times a week 1 1/2 hours AVG per session.

Yet find we are pretty evenly matched.

Steady state riding isn't going to greatly increase you fitness. Endurance perhaps but not strength or muscle. Better to vary your rides and put some real efforts in.

Also one needs to do it consistently over min 6 weeks to see the real muscle development.

CXRAndy

Guru
I try to get 150 mins of racing per week on Zwift. Physical activity( weights ) on the rest of the days. Keeps me pretty fit.

I then from a shorter period swap to endurance rides of 2-4 hours no problems. Again on Zwift .

Then If I want to do a sportive I'm ready

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
My mate commutes an 1he each day so 5hrs a week. Probably rides 1month together with me or solo.

I ride / run 3 /4 times a week 1 1/2 hours AVG per session.

Yet find we are pretty evenly matched.

Steady state riding isn't going to greatly increase you fitness. Endurance perhaps but not strength or muscle. Better to vary your rides and put some real efforts in.

Also one needs to do it consistently over min 6 weeks to see the real muscle development.

The research was about health benefits rather than nebulous fitness.

Top Bottom