Weekly lunacy challenge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tribansman

Veteran
Having managed to do x10 centuries so far this year, it got me thinking about a 'weekly' imperial century challenge.

My first thought was to suggest a century every week, but any monthly imperial century challenger will know that the weather, health and general life pressures can make it difficult to get one in every month!

So, I thought of a 'lunacy' based challenge: to complete 52 in a calendar year, so an average of one per week.

I think it's doable, especially if factoring in a couple of mini tours where you can do several back to back centuries. Tempted to add a couple of rules, such as allowing turbo centuries (for the slightly insane) if the weather or other factor makes it unsafe or impossible in the winter; and/or running nthe challenge from July to June so any shortfall could be made up in summer rather than winter.

What do people reckon?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Its been suggested a couple of times over the past years.
Just go for it. Set it up, get going and maybe people will follow. Maybe they won't 👍

OP
OP
T

Tribansman

Veteran
Think I'll give it a go from July 21 to June 22 and see how I get on. I'm tending to do most of my miles as either centuries or shortish spins with my lad atm so that does give a bit of balance.

And no great loss if I have to abandon, will help me with the imperial century a month challenge

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Looking back through my spreadsheet of rides. The most weeks of centuries in a row I did was 12 back in 2013. I remember now the reason I didn't continue was due to the day of a planned ride, it was heaving a gale with stair rods for rain. So that put the kaibosh on that.

OP
OP
T

Tribansman

Veteran
3 months is a good run, especially with the vagaries of the British weather.

I'm currently on my best run, 8 and counting...

OP
OP
T

Tribansman

Veteran
I see that you have set up your challenge...

How many did you end up doing in 2021?
Yep, taken the plunge! Had a pretty poor year last year, only managed 24. But had loads of stuff going on and in a better place now, so fingers crossed!

Oh the blind optimism of early January! :laugh:

Top Bottom