England : Hampshire Weekly Sunday ride in Winchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I have a small group of friends who go out cycling on a Sunday morning - most of us are triathletes, and typically training for some event or other. On average ever the year it is about 2 hrs, but currently up to 3.5 to 4.5 (that will be max unless I enter a longer event which is unlikely. The group size is 2 to 5 generally, and I would not want more than 7 or 8, but if you fancy joining in, even just occasionally get in touch by PM. pasted below are the comments I send on the weekly email. Of particular note are the comments about start time and prepping for problems. We do however wait for anyone with punctures.

Jay
---------------------

Pace: I am aiming for steady rides and currently specifically training for Mallorca Half Ironman. I do not wish to have to go slower or faster than we can do comfortably as it is hard on all concerned. If you are much faster than us feel free to zoom off but you will quickly be on your own! If you do not feel you can keep up with the pace we set (we are pretty average!) we feel it only fair to point out that you may be better to organise a slower ride.

Print a map out if you have any concerns about being dropped (or zooming ahead!) I am confident we can predict the time pretty well. Average is 23-24kmh, slow and hilly drops this back to about 21-22kmh, on odd occasions it might get to 25-26kmh average with a following wind. That might sound slow, but in a race it is closer to 28-30 over 90 or 180km so I must be doing something right.

I also plan a brick session each week from Jan-April if you want to stagger round with me

Remember that the start time is the start time, not the "arriving by car" time!

Finally, please come prepared with pump/toolkit/spare tube etc and food and drink.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
One thing to add is that however long the ride, the aim is to be back by lunch approx 1230 max (ideally 12). So when I did long rides last year of say 7 hrs we left at 0545. Tomorrow is 4 hrs leaving at 0845. Midwinter it might be 2 hrs leaving at 0930.

Top Bottom