Weight ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
As part of a discussion in another thread, can anyone give me an idea as to the total weight of a road bike being used professionally ?:huh:

iLB

Hello there
6.8kg UCI minimum weight I think

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
The applicable ruling is 1.3.019 stems from a concern for rider safety, and was created at a time where a 6.8kg bike may have been dangerous. When frames were metal and a steady drill hand was a requirement, the opportunity during this time of a custom component failing was high. Improvements in composite technologys and manufacturing make this no longer an issue. The rule also does not tske into consideration the riders weight. This limit is currently under review.
By contrast some pro's like a heavy bike or do not care about the weight Mark Cavendish's Venge for example weighed 7.65kg.

Me, Im a weight weenie and well under the UCI limit :becool:

I can't really see them knocking much more than a pound off the limit, tbh. The rule is as much about reigning in development costs as it is about weight. As you say, the safety thing doesn't really apply any more...

Black yellow boy, stop being nasty.

where was the 'nasty' bit?

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I can't really see them knocking much more than a pound off the limit, tbh. The rule is as much about reigning in development costs as it is about weight. As you say, the safety thing doesn't really apply any more..

From what I understand is the review is more considering the weight of bike with rider, which I think would be interesting. I would be interested to see if rider shape/size changed drastically.

From what I understand is the review is more considering the weight of bike with rider, which I think would be interesting. I would be interested to see if rider shape/size changed drastically.

that's a whole new pain in the ar5e to control then. Depends on the rider's weight 'configuration' - in classics mode, with thermals, arm/knee warmers, cap, overshoes, full gloves and pockets stuffed with food, or in summer tour mode, with none of that stuff and just in short sleeves. You would have the same situation that jockeys and boxers have to deal with - having to make a target weight. Sounds unenforceable....

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
You would have the same situation that jockeys and boxers have to deal with - having to make a target weight.

Could make life interesting for the likes of Contador and Schleck - stick a Carradice full of lead weights on the back of their saddle to make rider+bike the same overall weight as Andre Greipel and see how well they climb then. ^_^

(edit: The weight difference between Contador and Greipel is 18kg, going by the figures on Wikipedia - ie more than the weight of two complete bikes.)

d.

OP
OP
Psycolist

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Well.......i've just got my leisure beasty weighed, and 14kg exactly. When I consider that means, when I'm riding I am carrying an extra bike on my back, its not a surprise that my 'performance' in terms of speed and distance are so poor when measuring against a road racer ! On the other hand, when I think that I use a quadrilateral design suspension seat post,(great comfy ride but heavy) suspension front forks, side stand, toolkit and spare tubes,bell and computer etc, I am really quite pleased with 14kg. I'm pleased to have had all your comments and input thanx, its made me a little more knowledgable about road racing, and Black and Yellow, I couldnt see any nasty bits either. Cheers ALL ^_^

it depends what your priority is. If you are a leisure cyclist and you enjoy riding your bike as it is, then that should be all that matters. If you want more 'performance' then that's different. Don't forget though, a light bike is nice, but it won't go fast unless you pedal it.... ;)

Top Bottom