Weinmann Brakes - Worn brake pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Freedom

Regular
Freedom no more! I'm grounded!!

Advice required please. I need some new brake pads for my vintage Raleigh Pioneer Classic that I purchased in 1991 (1990 model). It has Weinmann caliper brakes. The pads as shown in the photo are 35mm. I popped into Halfords yesterday but nothing was found to be suitable.

589919-6336d9c63f6f9c0a3493fabd1a4f3118.jpg

I have searched online but sizes are 45mm. Would this be problematic? I'm certain the rims are made of aluminium.

Big John

Guru

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
They are usually sloped on the braking surface so they look like this when fitted:

/ \

This ensures they (more or less) hit the rim squarely when applied, assuming a centre-pull brake.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Freedom no more! I'm grounded!!

Advice required please. I need some new brake pads for my vintage Raleigh Pioneer Classic that I purchased in 1991 (1990 model). It has Weinmann caliper brakes. The pads as shown in the photo are 35mm. I popped into Halfords yesterday but nothing was found to be suitable.

View attachment 590143

I have searched online but sizes are 45mm. Would this be problematic? I'm certain the rims are made of aluminium.
I have a box load of these - all new. Let me know if you want some

GuyBoden

Guru
You probably know this, modern MTB brake cartridge and pads will fit too, I have them on my old 1970's Galaxy, you can line them up better with the rim (toe in) and they stop better too.

When they wear, you just buy pads for them.

These type:
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clarks-72mm-alumium-triple-contour-brake-pads/rp-prod55823

OP
OP
F

Freedom

Regular
Thanks to you all for the links. I will give 'like for like' a try first as suggested by Ian H.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brake-b...leigh-xpattern-36mm-brake-blocks-nut-fitting/

The blocks didn't sit as they should've with the front part of the block being the part that made contact with the rim. The rear part made contact. Is this the case with older bikes?

Above info re blocks not sitting right, meant to say, these are the current ones. I placed an order for new blocks yesterday, but I envisage they will sit the same.... :sad:

OP
OP
F

Freedom

Regular

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Simple adjust. If the adjuster won't back-off far enough, then you need to loosen the cable clamp at the caliper and allow 2 or 3 mm or so more cable through. It might take a couple of goes to get right.

Top Bottom