Weinmann rubber hoods & cable sundries etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Having taken possession of my recently acquired Dawes Jaguar, the rubber brake hoods for the Weinmann levers have seen better days and really could do with replacing. Are these readily available and if so, any recommended supplier?
Both the brakes and friction shifter inner & outer cables could also do with renewing. Are all these generic items that will fit regardless of where sourced from, or do they need specific nipples to fit the Weinmann brakes & Suntour shifter levers? I'm aware MTB stuff tends to be different from road, but is all road stuff of this era (late 1980's) standard?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@SkipdiverJohn the older hoods can be a nightmare , try bankrupt bike parts on e bay https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/bankrupt_bike_parts
Cables are or should be standard units

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Thanks @biggs682 & @mjr. I'm not normally too fussed about the cosmetics on my bikes, but the Dawes was a very nice machine in it's day and although mine will never be a pristine example, I don't want it to look any scruffier than it has to. Despite having a few rust spots and scuffs on the frame, I've decided not to repaint it, as the two-tone black & red livery has really grown on me and there's no way I could replicate it properly DIY. I'll just have to see how well it scrubs up and make the best of it.

rrarider

Veteran
I bought some Cane Creek hoods to replace the original ones on my Weinmann 605 levers, which are old and brittle. The replacements look like they will fit but I'd have to remove the original ones to confirm this and the stress on the original gum hoods would definitely see them off.

Top Bottom