Weird feeling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
On my ride yesterday there was this strange effect I came across.

I had ridden down one side of this valley which was quite steep and began to climb the other side. Because I had been riding quickly and the bike had slowed down to a crawl the whole thing felt like I had come up against a brick wall. My brain wanted me to go faster, but physically I couldn't as I would of out paced myself. I had to stop so that my brain could catch up with the idea that I had to crawl up the other side.

Has anybody else had this?

shippers

All the time. "Why am I hardly moving, oh, I'm actually doing 17mph".
Probably best not to stop, just keep going, let your brain catch up

It's similar to when you come off the motorway onto a 30mph road and it feels like you're stationary.

Perhaps it's similar to the other effect which is the opposite. You know when you climb a concave hill and near the summit you start to cycle faster as if you were on the level, then realise that you are pushing a decent speed whilst still ascending (certainly faster than if you had approached that level of slope from the flat)

Hont

Guru
I have noticed that. I came through the teme valley yesterday - 40mph one way and 6mph the other - but once you know the route you get used to the speed you usually do on whichever section you are on.

Norm

Hmm... people's perceptions adjust with speed? Don't tell the anti-motor brigade, they'll never swallow that one in their attempts for blanket 30mph limits! :biggrin:

It's one reason that I like having a voluntary speed limiter in my current car. Judgement does get altered after a long period on a motorway and it's useful being able to use electronics to ensure you don't travel too fast in populated areas.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
shippers said:
All the time. "Why am I hardly moving, oh, I'm actually doing 17mph".
Probably best not to stop, just keep going, let your brain catch up

It's similar to when you come off the motorway onto a 30mph road and it feels like you're stationary.

You cycle on the motorway? :laugh:

decca234uk

The same thing happened to me on Sunday when i was out riding. I hit a wall and felt like I just couldn't get moving but my speed was actually 16mph. I felt like I was cycling through water. strange. I just keep going and work through it.

Top Bottom