Weird imperfection in new Cannondale carbon frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robthebub

I just bought a new 2018 Cannondale Synapse. I got the last 2018 at a local shop at a great discount (Dura Ace at 50% off). Its my first carbon frame and I just noticed a strange imperfection at the top of the seat tube, right where it meets the seat stays. It kind of a small square indentation, with one of the sides very uneven. Very hard to say if that uneven surface is a crack. Can this be some kind of normal imperfection of the carbon or paint? Naturally I would love to keep the bike given the great deal, but I am nervous that this can be a crack or lead to a crack? Apologies for the quality of the photos, it´s quite difficult to capture, its very small, maybe half an inch.

IMG_8033 copy.jpg
IMG_7981 copy.jpg

tom73

Guru
Looking like it's an issue with the paint finish more than damage to the frame.
If you got a good deal and you're happy then keep it and enjoy.

mustang1

Guru
There is no such thing as a bargain. Te discounted prices are there for a reason. IN this case, a superficial scratch. If you're not bothered about that, only then is it a bargain. I would take that with 50% off in a heartbeat.

OP
OP
R

robthebub

Really appreciate everyone’s responses. I definitely felt it must be a paint defect as the paint is not damaged in any way like from an impact or scratch. Something must have happened in manufacturing. I don’t mind it at all as long as it’s not structural so thanks for providing your experience and weighing in.

Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom