Weird Sprocket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
First, a picture of my newly acquired fixed wheel bike -

Raleigh 001.jpg

Pretty little beast, if I say so myself. New bars to go on (Those in photo too narrow), new stem, clipless hoofs and a conventional brake lever. All well and good so far.

The fixed sprocket is the weirdest I've come across, the pitch is not standard and the chain rollers won't sit between the teeth, it just skates across the top. It is the same with the brand new KMC I bought today, as well as the one that came with the bike. In fact I've got to take the wheel to the LBS tomorrow to get the sprocket removed as my chain whip won't fit either and I haven't got a vice big enough to clamp it on to lever it off.

Anyone come across this before? The sprocket has never been used by the look of it and the freewheel on the other side is ok.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It isn't just a narrow chain on an 1/8th sprocket, is it?

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It isn't just a narrow chain on an 1/8th sprocket, is it?
Nope, 1/8" chain came with the bike and the same replacement was fitted today. The sprocket pitch is shorter than standard and whereas one roller will sit between the teeth the subsequent ones won't and get further out of kilter as it wraps round.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Shimano made a track chain with a 10mm pitch. Don't think you can get it anymore.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
3/16" BMX sprocket?

Top Bottom