1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weirdest component mismatch

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by peekay76, 28 Jan 2008.

1. peekay76

peekay76 New Member

In building my first fixie from an tip rescued frame and old parts I had lying around or could borrow from my dad I now have old steel cottered cranks with a set of SPDs attached. It strikes me that this is a pretty odd match of parts and wondered what other mismatches people have used to build their fixies.

2. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Man-Machine Staff Member

Not a fixie, but I have got a carbon frame that I'm intending to fit my current groupset to.

*whispers*

Sora triple

*ashamed* :ohmy:

3. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

Allow me to embrace you Mr Doctor. That's a fine and noble beast. :ohmy:

My best offer on this would be TC when he had an ancient secondhand Shimano 600 series STI unit for the front brake/rear mech, teamed with a downtube shifter for the rear mech.

4. TheDoctor

*snuggles*

Not sure I understand. Two levers for the rear mech? That would be truly weird:biggrin:.

5. llllllll

llllllll New Member

Not sure I should post this here since it's not on a fixed.

I've got a pretty modern TT bike, oversize everything, carbon forks/seatpost etc, with a band on Suntour friction shifter of unknown age mounted on the tri bars.

6. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

Ah. Oops. Downtube lever for the front mech. I'm not a complete freak...:thumbsup:

7. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

Bell and wicker basket, that's what you need. :tongue:
    Doctor - You can de-snuggle now, the moment has passed.

8. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

i once considered putting a blackspire on my road bike. I wouldn't now even if could, 'cos i wear tights, but when i used to cycle in trousers i probably would have got one if you could have got 5-bolt ones that were big enough.

9. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

how about shifting the middle three gears on a sram7 hub with a Campagnolo band on downtube shifter?

10. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

Weirdo.

Andy Gate's fixie foldy shopper is a pretty odd creature. :biggrin:

11. TheDoctor

I've got one of those Daewoo Shuttle things - not really a folder, but very small wheels and frame. I've been thinking of doing a fixie on it. Maybe I should. Horribly horribly wrong, but a potential laugh none the less.

I've not been snuggling for some time now. I don't know who you're cuddling but it's not me:biggrin:.

12. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

Do. But make sure you fit short cranks...:angry:

:angry:
    It was a manly embrace to express approval and approbation. There were no tongues, no innapropriate touching and no fumbling with undergarment fastenings. I have the lovely Baggy for such grubbiness...:angry::angry:

13. TheDoctor

It's got quite short ones already. Clearly a valid point though.

That's what you think. I'd only just got out of the shower. And then I had to go and have another one.:angry:

14. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

Andy's are scarily long. Makes cornering a bit of a challenge!

Excuse me, I have to go and boil myself now. I feel violated, you grubby person.

15. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

thankyou:thumbsup: