Weldable - Yea or nay?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Just got back from a nice ride and when cleaning the bike down, noticed a massive crack around the seat tube, where it meets with the top tube. Looks like its spread almost all the way around, glad it didn't go when I was out! (pics below) It's a Boardman CX frame, about 6 years old and is Aluminium, so even if I could find a good Al welder, not sure I'd feel confident in having what must be a high stress area welded. What do you think, worth a go or bin it and look for a new bike/frame?

upload_2019-1-6_14-13-28.png

upload_2019-1-6_14-14-8.png

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I guess it would be possible, but that looks like it's new frame time IMHO

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
One of my cycling group had his full-sus ally frame welded after it cracked.

The key, as you say, is finding someone skilled at welding aluminium.

That person will only agree to do the job if his skill and experience tells him the repair should work.

The final look may also be a consideration.

'Bird mess' welds wouldn't bother me, but Boardmans are known for their smooth welds.

Paint is another consideration.

rrarider

Veteran
I don't know what the view would be like down the seat tube with the seat post removed but maybe it would be possible to get a long seat post, smear it in high strength adhesive and push it in to the right depth for your riding position. I'd be tempted to do that, with the expense of writing off a seat post, rather than maybe the whole frame.

tom73

Guru
Maybe worth a go if you can find someone who really knows what they are doing.
But for me I just ask myself one question would I still really trust it after it's repaired?
I know what my thinking would be even if it was yes Mrs 73 would in the end have something very different to say.

We all know really the only answer to this don't we ;)

No. No. No. Period.

OP
OP
Houthakker

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Thanks for advice. Had a look on Halfords website and on the Al bikes that they are selling at the moment they quote a lifetime guarantee so had a word with the shopI bought it from and they asked me to drop the frame off to them. They will ring head office tomorrow and see what can be done. Fingers crossed cos I think I'd already decided in my own head that it wasn't repairable.
In case nothing works out with them, thought I'm trawling bike sites at the moment........

Thanks for advice. Had a look on Halfords website and on the Al bikes that they are selling at the moment they quote a lifetime guarantee so had a word with the shopI bought it from and they asked me to drop the frame off to them. They will ring head office tomorrow and see what can be done. Fingers crossed cos I think I'd already decided in my own head that it wasn't repairable.
In case nothing works out with them, thought I'm trawling bike sites at the moment........

They will almost certainly want to see the seatpost. If you had done what some of suspect you had done, don't be surprised on annoyed if they refuse the claim.

OP
OP
Houthakker

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Just out of interest, how long is your seat post and how high as it set? The most numerous frame failures I've seen are at that point, right where the leverage can do its worst.

It not that far out. Its an XL frame and I'm 6'2" but the seat post is well below the max marking.

Top Bottom