Well, expect a few new ranges of bikes soon...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bauldbairn

Very interesting! They recon the UCI could allow them on road bikes in the next 10 years.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
What are discs like when covered in a half a kilo of thick November mud? I'm not trying to make a point- I just have no idea what they might be like compared to cantis.

beastie

Guru
Hydraulic Disc Brakes are unbelievable compared to rim brakes in the wet and in the mud. You should give them a shot you will be amazed at the difference.

battered

Guru
Hyd discs are fantastic. What are they like covered in mud? Great. Ask a MTBer what the best development is in the last 10 years. They stay cleaner than rims because they are generally out of the mud, and they work, wet or dry. Ask a motorcyclist. Better yet, you don't wear your rims out. My original MTB would chew through brake pads in a wet afternoon or two, and rims in a couple of seasons. My disc equipped MTBs brake pads last most of a season, the discs seem to last indefinitely.

The only disadvantage is a weight penalty, so no thanks for a roadie, but as soon as you go off road it's no contest whatsoever.

bauldbairn

battered said:
The only disadvantage is a weight penalty, so no thanks for a roadie, but as soon as you go off road it's no contest whatsoever.

Only because most discs "currently" used on road bikes come from a MTB origin. Therefore durability and structural integrity are paramount.
Once(if) carbon fibre road disc rotors are developed along with full carbon hydro calipers etc, their weight would be comparible to current rim calipers/shoes. Only the hub would have to be stronger to accomodate the rotor fixing/braking forces. The weight saving in the braking surface being removed from the rim(although some would go to the rotor) would be significant and apparently is exciting rim manufacturers - according to the OT's attached article.
Someone on CC once mentioned on another thread that Lance Armstrong once demanded discs for his road bike after trying out a bike fitted with them - only to be reminded by his team of the UCI's ban!!:smile:

battered

Guru
"Weight penalty could be negated by carbon fibre brakes"

We aren't comparing like with like though any more are we? The bottom line is that you have to add a disc and a caliper to a wheel, and remove the cantis. It's very hard to do this without a weight penalty, a glance at the components tells you why. Maybe you could address this with carbon fibre bike brakes but these don't currently exist!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
it could be good for the general/commuter bike market, in fact you could see them on every bike except racers

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Weight wouldn't be an issue for race bikes. Most of the bikes the pros use have to have weights added to them to bring them up to the UCI minimum. Some very advantageous weight savings could be made by by making rims lighter with thinner (and with more aerodynamic) walls.

Rim brakes are an antiquated system that should have been consigned to the bin years ago.

bauldbairn

battered said:
Maybe you could address this with carbon fibre bike brakes but these don't currently exist!

That's why I said "if" they're "developed" - the OT's(attached) thread mentioned manufacturers thought it could be a possibility on "road racers" in 10 years. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom