Well it made me laugh. Sorry folder fans.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've contemplated fitting some ironic Tri-bars to mine ....
Ironic... Or iconic?

I'm thinking about bar-ends. I have M type bars and I sometimes think some horizontal extensions below and parallel to the main grips would be handy for getting lower. Making a sort of capital H on its side. Would make emergency braking a bit difficult though.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Ironic... Or iconic?

I'm thinking about bar-ends. I have M type bars and I sometimes think some horizontal extensions below and parallel to the main grips would be handy for getting lower. Making a sort of capital H on its side. Would make emergency braking a bit difficult though.
Or just retro fit some P bars.

Sara_H

Guru
I've actually noticed the opposite. When I used to commute on a folder, if I'd pass someone on a road bike, you could hear the hairs going up on the back of their neck, and they would pedal like mad to overtake me again, veins popping in the side of their head.

It's a rarely acknowledged superpower of folding bikes: people think they are harder to ride with clown wheels etc etc, so you get a lot of "you're brave to be doing this ride on that bike" a lot. I got that on the first FNRttC I did. Personally I felt that woman on the dutch bike wearing jeans was the brave one.
I once joined a CTC organised ride on my step through town bike with panniers and MASSIVE basket on the front. Many jokes were made that in future I could bring flasks, cake and a full tea service to save the need for a cafe stop! Not wearing jeans, but certainly not wearing the lycra that appeared uniform among the group.
Needless to say I spent alot of time at the rear of the group, but not ALL the time. I seem to remember there was a lady on a folder on that ride too.

Kell

Veteran
Or just retro fit some P bars.

Or do what I did...

I took an H type and removed the M bars, and retro fitted slight risers and bar ends.

20284_10152890478466021_7495776447938293737_n.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks for the suggestions @Kell and @just_fixed

Sticking bar ends on is one thing. Replacing the entire bars is a level of faffage I'm not prepared for. Especially as this is just something that crosses my mind occasionally when struggling into the wind on my commute, then evaporates.

I may add some ordinary bar ends (on the ends of the bars, not in the funny position I mention above) but that's about my limit for now.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have some micro bar ends on my style, which I find really useful for both change of position on longer rides and for getting slightly more aero. I think a brommie is more than a match for a lot of hybrids and commuting mountain bikes. They do accelerate quicker due to the smalll wheels, but perhaps lack a bit of top end speed

byegad

Legendary Member
Weren't most speed records held for decades by Moulton bikes?
Yes and no, until UCI banned them from competition. However for real speed a Velomobile beats then hands down and usually with at least two of the three wheels sub 26".

Top Bottom