Well it made me laugh. Sorry folder fans.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've actually noticed the opposite. When I used to commute on a folder, if I'd pass someone on a road bike, you could hear the hairs going up on the back of their neck, and they would pedal like mad to overtake me again, veins popping in the side of their head.

It's a rarely acknowledged superpower of folding bikes: people think they are harder to ride with clown wheels etc etc, so you get a lot of "you're brave to be doing this ride on that bike" a lot. I got that on the first FNRttC I did. Personally I felt that woman on the dutch bike wearing jeans was the brave one.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hac is now hunted on his way to work - come on folks get out the kiddy bikes - like on the Mars/Snickers advert. (PS you won't catch him)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've actually noticed the opposite. When I used to commute on a folder, if I'd pass someone on a road bike, you could hear the hairs going up on the back of their neck, and they would pedal like mad to overtake me again, veins popping in the side of their head.

It's a rarely acknowledged superpower of folding bikes: people think they are harder to ride with clown wheels etc etc, so you get a lot of "you're brave to be doing this ride on that bike" a lot. I got that on the first FNRttC I did. Personally I felt that woman on the dutch bike wearing jeans was the brave one.

I recall keeping up with a roadie for a mile or so on my Brompton.

When we stopped at traffic lights, he looked down from his track stand and said: "Good speed."

Idiot, there was no wind and the stretch we'd just done was a slight decline.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Bikes with smaller wheels are always going to be harder work. The folding bikes have the weight disadvantage too. I bet the guy is quite good on a road bike. I would be B******ed on one of them folding jobbies.
Not really.

Who got drenched? My first FNRttC.

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
:angry::angry:Bloody typical! I was here first and this Johnny-come-lately pinches all my responses and likes!:angry::angry:

:okay:Only kidding.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
On the Brompton I find it's the upright position that slows things down. The recent wind has almost stopped me in my tracks sometimes.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Didn't rain that night. It turned around just before the beach, so may have missed someone getting drenched. I can't remember exactly when it was, but it was last 2011 and destination was Whitstable. Spent the entire Saturday sleeping through Unconvention :sad:
I was thinking Brighton, a young French woman turned up on a sit up and beg bike, jeans, leather shoes and a light waterproof ... Maybe a leather briefcase as well. It hooned down (as myth has it like all of my FNRttC). She made it I recall.
I also did a drenched Whistable run .... And Brighton again ....

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I was thinking Brighton, a young French woman turned up on a sit up and beg bike, jeans, leather shoes and a light waterproof ... Maybe a leather briefcase as well. It hooned down (as myth has it like all of my FNRttC). She made it I recall.
I also did a drenched Whistable run .... And Brighton again ....
It was our first tandem FNRttC, I believe. I don't think it was all that wet.

Top Bottom