Well, I've done it...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Just testing my new signature begging for sponsorship :thumbsup:

P.S. If anybody wants to help - and I know some of you lovely forumers have offered, please put my name in the message, so they can work out which rider has raised what... Every penny highly appreciated, and happy Christmas everyone!!!:biggrin:

Craz

Hi everyone.

I happened across CycleChat during a routine 'google' (as you do!) and there was punkypossum :biggrin: Who would have known eh?!?

Anyway, I'm Richard and I am one of the event organisers for CharityAdventure.org.uk and in particular for this thread the Amsterdame08 ride that has been mentioned.

I'm happy to answer any questions that anyone has about the ride. Up to date they've all been pretty much dealt with by other people which is great! Especially the one that said that the milieage will always be more than we originally say!!! :ohmy: That's a great rule to go by. My partner in crime, Gaz, is well known for his kamakaze changes in direction, and despite the 2008 event being the 4th time we've done this ride I've approached Amsterdame via 4 different routes so far, and left it by 3!!

However, I guess the main thing is getting people from A to B and raising a stack of cash for charity. Who's to argue over a couple of stray miles here and there :tongue:

I'd also like to confirm that we will indeed be splitting the group of 60 ladies up into smaller groups of 20 each. We're not particularly taking this step to put slow riders together, but for safety of the riders whilst cycling through the city centres (mainly Den Haag and Amsterdam itself). For anyone who's cycled in Holland before, at a set of traffic lights you get lights for the cars and also lights for bicycles. Unfortunately you only tend to get a dozen or so bikes through for each turn, and of course in the main cities there are thousands of other cyclists wanting to get home or to work to contend with. I hope that makes sense?!

As for slow versus fast riders, we only go as fast as the slowest rider, no matter which of the 3 groups you'll end up in. We're not racing from York to Amsterdam and back. We're only concerned with getting you all there and back in one piece!!

Ok, enough for one post I think! Please feel free to ask away if there's anything that's concerning you!

Rich (a.k.a. Craz)

redfox

Hi pp & craz, how are you doing for Amsterdame08 entrants?

I am trying to convince my wife that this might be a good thing for her to aim for but, at the moment she, cant envisage cycling 60 miles in a day, let alone four days running.

I suggested she try to enlist some friends to come along and they can all work toward getting ready for it together, but this might take some organising. How long before it is too late too enter?

Craz

Hiya redfox :thumbsup:

Well, it's kinda hard to say at the moment! I know that's a pathetic excuse for my inadequacies but in short I have:

* 33 returned entry forms to date
* 17 en-route (take with proverbial pinch of salt)

and a further:

* 20 who've shown an interest.

As you can no doubt calculate, that makes a total of 70 for my 60-strong team!!

Obviously, being human, some of the people who initially said yes will actually make excuses not to come along, and some of the people who've already sent forms will have 'last minute problems' and cancel :sad: So the long and the short of it is that I think I have enough people but I can't be sure!!

I'm trying desperately to just count entry forms at the moment and not worry about the other people, but being the person I am I feel slightly protective over all the other people that I've been chasing up over the past two weeks!

On a slightly more useful note to you (I hope) and anyone else that's got this far down the post - we run a mixed-sex Amsterdam event on July 12th which doesn't have half as many participants as yet :eek:

Could this suit you and your wife more or do you have childcare issues if you both leave the country?!! Of course, she could join that team alone or with friends too should she choose. It would also allow her an extra 5 weeks of training!!

Sorry for the lengthy reply but I didn't just want to say 'dunno :wacko:'!

Regards,

Rich.

surfgurl

Ooooh. An extra 5 weeks training time. And I finish work for the summer on Friday 11th July.
I am very tempted.
Rich, I shall be in contact.

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Argh! Craz!!!:smile: You've ruined my lovely plan of asking half my questions on here and the other half on the charity adventure forum to keep up some illusion of...well, not sure what of..., but it seemed like a good idea - clearly you've caught up with me! :smile:

cyclebum

Nothing's sacred is it punky :ohmy:.

Redfox, as far as your wife was concerened, last March I couldn't envisage doing 30 miles let alone 60 in a day. It has been an amazing year for me preparing for India but I wouldn't go back and change anything. It feels so good to have concentrated so much on me, which sounds so selfish for a wife and mother to say but it is true. It is also such a boost to realise that you can do it (can't is a word that no longer exists :biggrin:). If timescale is a problem there are other rides available (sorry Craz not trying to do you out here honest!) eg, Women for women who I am riding for are currently recruiting for Cuba 2009 which sounds an amazing ride, though very hilly I believe. I have had such focus through 2007 that I'm not sure what to do once I get back from India!!!

Craz

Hehe, I don't think any of our rides can compete with Cuba, etc. For a voluntary organisation with little or no cash the logistics of getting people, bikes, luggage and so on to anywhere far away would be very difficult! That's why most of our events either start in or around Leeds/York.

The Sea2Sea ride we do from Whitehaven to Sunderland was a different problem for us altogether until we found and utilised some fantastic Rock Tour Buses that not only sleep 14 people on each but also towed huge bike trailers behind them, so they were our transport, support vehicles and accommodation all rolled into one!

Sorry for stealing some of your thunder punkypossum!!! I'll keep quite if you ask the same thing twice on both forums!! :ohmy:

Surfgirl, I look forward to hearing from you! :biggrin:

Craz.

Top Bottom