Well, looks like I'm 'out' for now.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
We've been able to sneak our bikes inside since we came to the new building. Now the bike shelters been finally finished. It's too close to the service yard gates. Being a company that works with carbide we've always got 'dodgy' types coming upto the gates.
During summer the area is overlooked by our 'HFM' area and the workers within. During winter the big factory roller doors are shut and its.... quiet.
I got ready to cycle in this morning. Then 10 mins before I was due to go out, the voices in my head started to get to me.
I never leave my bike anywhere. The rare occassion I've had to call at a shop I've either walked it round with me or left it with security/customer services.
I really don't want to leave a bike with QR fittings and lots of bits that can just unclip in an unsecure area. So it looks like that's me done till spring at least.
Great when you consider that one of the 'goals' of this move was to discourage single car occupancy and encourage cycling. They've done the opposite. Shelters now being used by 1 instead of the usual 7-10. My cage journey will now be 16 miles, each way, solo occupancy, as opposed to the 7 miles at the previous site.:sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Why ?

Good locks, remove lights and you are sorted. Pitlock type QR skewers if really worried.

I leave a £1k plus fixed road bike in Manchester centre areas on a regular basis - one place is open to the public. NY Fagh Mini to secure bike and rear wheel, ABUS Bordo for front wheel and a cable lock (and I carry these with me)

Leave a good D and a chain at/in your bike shelter. Remove any lights/pumps etc. Get work to fit a keypad if it's a secure shelter.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Get the biggest eff off lock you can afford.
And as Fossy says.
All the removable stuff and lockable release skewers.

Sorted.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Sounds like a good excuse to buy a winter bike too ;) If youd be using it everyday for 6 months of the year it could make sense.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Leave a good D and a chain at/in your bike shelter. Remove any lights/pumps etc.
This is the answer ^
My work bike shed is unsecure and easily accessed by anyone. Most of us leave a couple of locks in the shed. Or if you only have one lock you can remove the front wheel and lock it to the rear wheel and frame.

potsy

Rambler
Shame that, must admit it would be the one thing to put me off if they ever tried banning us from bringing the bikes inside.
We have an indoor area to put them, there is a bike shed outside for the loud bikes too, not secure just a place with a roof to keep them dry.

I think if I had to lock a bike up I'd buy a tatty commuting bike and leave my best bike for weekend/leisure rides.

davefb

Guru
why have they built a bike shed then?

is there no way of making a formal 'i'm afraid i can no longer cycle because i feel the facilities arent secure' ?

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
It's not a shed. It's a shelter. Open sides, small roof.Basically they had to 'encourage cycling and reduce their carbon footprint' as part of the planning app. So basically the builders got the cheapest/nastiest one they could find on ebay.
Can't really make any formal complaint. Family run business, with everything that entails......

chewy

At least you have a shelter.

my work only has a rack, and as much as I would like to take my 'nice' bike in, it would sit there in the rain for 8 hours...so the Carerra gets that luxury!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get a bike cover, Argos or other. I used one of these for years. Holes were patched with gaffa tape. It was more gaffa tape than cover.

It is do able do not give in. There were no bike stuff when I was cycling to work. Used a cover every day, and it was in my rucksack for a 40 mile return journey. That was 20 years ago. Not much better today.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'd have a winter bike, in fact I do.

Yesterday I was at the other campus - and I took the 'winter' bike since there's no way I'm leaving my best bike there. Alternatively it's the cheap MTB or 'Lethal Impact' free bike.

Big lock(s), which you can leave there and a bike cover.

davefb

Guru
It's not a shed. It's a shelter. Open sides, small roof.Basically they had to 'encourage cycling and reduce their carbon footprint' as part of the planning app. So basically the builders got the cheapest/nastiest one they could find on ebay.
Can't really make any formal complaint. Family run business, with everything that entails......
:sad: .
maybe the planning officer needs to take a visit?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Cheaper commuting bike, a couple of big 'k off locks left at work, and you're sorted. Don't let the bar stewards grind you down mate!!!

Top Bottom