Well, that degenerated quickly.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
So, I went out on an 18 miler today to test out my new clipless setup for the first time before Sundays club run. (Aldi shoes, Shimano PD-M530 pedals).

With my standard routes getting a bit repetitive, I thought I'd explore a bit and try some new routes. Armed with Google Maps on my Samsung smart phone, I set off.

After 6 or so miles of riding, I noticed on the map what looked to be a small road leading up Crickley hill. With most routes up the hill involving steep sections of fast dual carriage way, I was excited to try out this new route.

At the start of this new route, the road was something like this..

20121006_142430.jpg

About 100 feet on, the road surface degenerated in to this, not exactly ideal, but still do-able if you take your time.

20121006_141948.jpg

Within another 50 feet the road turned in to a full on off-road track! I decided enough was enough considering I was on 23mm tires and turned back down the hill (which was an interesting descent!)

20121006_141605.jpg

20121006_141648.jpg

When I reached the bottom of the track I noticed this sign on the paved section which I'd missed on the way up. :rolleyes:

20121006_142343.jpg

After a bit more exploring I found an alternate (more suitable) route, and made it to the top of the hill! Panorama can be viewed here.

20121006_145636.jpg

All in all a good days ride. Really pleased with the new clipless setup (didn't have any clipless moments!), and I'll be back tomorrow on the MTB to get to the top of the trail!

Oldspice

Fantastic view. Love the pics. Have you had a lot of flooding in your area.

OP
OP
HovR

HovR

Über Member
Coo - I would have been up that track like a tramp on chips. Great pics

If I'd had some wider tires or cross tires on the bike then I'd have been straight up there, but the trail was slowly getting rougher and rougher with deeper ruts (the picture doesn't quite do it justice) - The 23's couldn't quite cope with it. I've been looking in to some cross tires as the frame has the clearances! Tomorrow though I'll be straight up there on the MTB running 2.2's after my club run!

Fantastic view. Love the pics. Have you had a lot of flooding in your area.

We've had quite a lot of rain recently, not any extreme flooding but the run-off from the hills has been turning some of the smaller roads into streams! There was a lot of water running across and down the roads on my ride today.

Top Bottom