Well that was an eye opener !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Still on single speed for the commute and am enjoying it as it is even in the rubbish weather ! Feel guilty that i have not ridden the other two bikes for a while though !!

Norry1

Legendary Member
I've recently bought an old singlespeed conversion and found that I really enjoy riding it. I'm having a flip flop wheel built and put on next week and plan to try fixed riding.

Having only just got used to riding with cleats, I reckon I'll have fun with them and fixed riding

A&E here I come :smile:

Martin

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Norry, riding fixed with cleats does present a unique challenge, hitting a moving target etc, but at the same time the momentum of the rear wheel can help you one legged pedal if you miss clipping in such that you dont dive the kerb whilst scrambling to clip in!

I found it easier to clip in on fixed than on my road bike, but........... I hated the Look Keo's so need to change them over to something else.

Roadrunner78

First week commuting fixed. Fuji Classic track 2010.

Bike arrived monday, took a ride around to have a go, braking problem and aching legs in funny places. Alas i still took it to work (nights). Forgot i cant freewheel and was paranoid about needing to stop in a hurry.

Tuesday, ordered front brake... and took single speed to work (pictured in thread). Already something felt broken when i stopped pedaling.

Wednesday, brake and lever arrived so back to my fixie. Way better.. still forgot i cant freewheel sometimes but better.

Thursday, im getting this fixie thing.

Friday. Loving it.

Saturday, day off 7 miles with 15.84mph average :smile: not really trying.

Im hooked!!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
First week commuting fixed. Fuji Classic track 2010.

Bike arrived monday, took a ride around to have a go, braking problem and aching legs in funny places. Alas i still took it to work (nights). Forgot i cant freewheel and was paranoid about needing to stop in a hurry.

Tuesday, ordered front brake... and took single speed to work (pictured in thread). Already something felt broken when i stopped pedaling.

Wednesday, brake and lever arrived so back to my fixie. Way better.. still forgot i cant freewheel sometimes but better.

Thursday, im getting this fixie thing.

Friday. Loving it.

Saturday, day off 7 miles with 15.84mph average :smile: not really trying.

Im hooked!!

Glad you enjoyed it, I know exactly what you mean about being paranoid about having to stop fast. The off the shelf gearing pretty much feels like a run-a-way train if you dont have brakes. I was out on mine this weekend, first time in a looong while, went over to Woodhead Reservoir in the edges of the peaks, hard work it was!

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Changed the original pedals that came with my Boardman for the ones off my Spec Sirrus to see if it improved the ride in traffic and i can say it did ! Had a good run today which might be short lived iff the prommised snow arrives this week.

gbs

Guru
Yesterday was my fourth and longest ride on the fixed. About 40 k in Richmond Park including a heavily braked descent of Broomfield Hill. I am currently riding 42/18, 63", at the moment so down hill is a challenge.

I'm finding it quite demanding mentally and physically. Did any else suffer in their early days on fixed?

Rod

Yesterday was my fourth and longest ride on the fixed. About 40 k in Richmond Park including a heavily braked descent of Broomfield Hill. I am currently riding 42/18, 63", at the moment so down hill is a challenge.

I'm finding it quite demanding mentally and physically. Did any else suffer in their early days on fixed?

I used to ride a fixed wheel bike from Poplar to Hounslow in cleats and after a while the control becomes second nature. In saying that my 'near death' experiences increased by about 600% so I eventually went back to gears purely for safety reasons - i.e. the unexpected pedestrian or sudden vehicle in my path were more difficult to navigate. I think fixed riding in the city is a fashion statement - but we all subscribe to that in one form or another by the bikes we choose. The 'purity' (ahem!) and simplicity of fixed wheel for me was best experienced riding around the Herne Hill Velodrome.

D

Deleted member 1258

I used to ride a fixed wheel bike from Poplar to Hounslow in cleats and after a while the control becomes second nature. In saying that my 'near death' experiences increased by about 600% so I eventually went back to gears purely for safety reasons - i.e. the unexpected pedestrian or sudden vehicle in my path were more difficult to navigate. I think fixed riding in the city is a fashion statement - but we all subscribe to that in one form or another by the bikes we choose. The 'purity' (ahem!) and simplicity of fixed wheel for me was best experienced riding around the Herne Hill Velodrome.

What makes fixed in the city a fashion statement? I do most of my fixed riding in the city, Coventry and surrounding areas, have done for over three years now, in the late eighties and early nineties I was on fixed doing the same, they are ideal for commuting and general running about. How come you were having near death experiences? What were you doing wrong? The nearest I have come to a near death experience was getting rear ended by a Ford focus in 2007, most of my urban riding is just routine.

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I use mine for long rides now that i've changed a few more bits on my Boardman.The pedals now have Zefal strapless clips,the Brookes seat is now off my Spec Sirrus and fitted and i have Pro-file aero bars instead of drops.Managed 148 miler on Sunday and loved every moment of it,the bike is perfect and i feel guilty that i am not riding my MTB and hybrid as much.

D

Deleted member 1258

I use mine for long rides now that i've changed a few more bits on my Boardman.The pedals now have Zefal strapless clips,the Brookes seat is now off my Spec Sirrus and fitted and i have Pro-file aero bars instead of drops.Managed 148 miler on Sunday and loved every moment of it,the bike is perfect and i feel guilty that i am not riding my MTB and hybrid as much.

My Pearson gets used all year round as a commuter and general run about, in the winter it gets used on Sunday club rides, most years the geared Sunday best bike goes away when the clocks change at the end of October and isn't used again until the clocks change at the end of March.

SP_A0096.jpg

McrJ64

I have had a Langster for nearly 2 years. I have commuted on freewheel during the week and swapped to fixed for the club ride on Sunday. Freewheel prices have gone through the roof and seem to wear quickly, both the teeth and the free-mech. After Sunday's ride, I left it on fixed and am loving the commute on fixed. I find that I do concentrate more, but that's not a bad thing. My riding is smoother, I won't wear the rear rim or brake pads, and no faffing around swapping between fixed and free. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner.

Top Bottom