Well that was an eye opener !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Decided in my "wisdom" to have a go at commuting in fixed mode on my new Boardman.I must say after a short while it was not too bad until i came to junctions and lights where the judging of pedal position and setting off were a test to say the least ! Bit more practice is in order me thinks but as for climping the short hils around here all was well !

RedBike

I found the acid test was when something unexpected happened.

A car pulls out on you, you hit a big pot hole etc. Do you try and freewheel or do you remember to keep pedalling?

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I found the acid test was when something unexpected happened.

A car pulls out on you, you hit a big pot hole etc. Do you try and freewheel or do you remember to keep pedalling?
Schools are back this week,should have plenty of chances for the unexpected !!! Rough part of road got me this morning,tried to hop over and forgot i had to keep pedaling :eek:
Lets hope it get easier or i will do the nasty and flip over to freewheel !

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Going freewheel tomorrow,it's not fun in traffic ! I guess on a run in the country it would be great but my route is pants to work.....bit too much white knuckle ride for me !!!!

RedBike

Going freewheel tomorrow,it's not fun in traffic ! I guess on a run in the country it would be great but my route is pants to work.....bit too much white knuckle ride for me !!!!

Like you when I first got the fixed gear bike I scared myself to death several times. I was grabbing the brakes on every hill. After hitting a car I swore that I'd never ride fixed wheel again!

However as fate would have it we then had that really bad cold snap, when it was -20 or something daft. After 2 freewheels died on me in a week after becoming frozen I was forced to run the bike fixed wheel for a week or two.

Having found a route to work that avoided the roads I was comfortable enough to keep commuting on the bike fixed wheel while I waiting for the weather to improve before fitting the new freewheel.

It was 2-3 months before the weather finally improved, by this stage i'd become so used to having the bike fixed that I was in no great rush to switch back to a freewheel.

We then had that period when the roads had so many holes in them they looked like they'd been carpet bombed. Instead of taking my best road bike out on long weekend rides / club runs I started taking the fixie. For some reason i'd got so used to the bike being fixed wheel it just never occured to me to buy/fit a freewheel again.

After 6months of riding nothing but fixed wheel I was so used to riding the bike that way that the when I did finally put a new freewheel on I didn't like it and switched straight back to fixed wheel.

What i'm saying is. Commute freewheel but keep giving that fixed wheel a go. Slowly but surely as you become more confident down the hills / in traffic you'll stop scaring yourself and you'll start enjoying it.

iendicott

Funny you should mention it, I bought a Langster about 3 weeks ago and initially rode it in freewheel. Tried fixed once and forgot that you need to pedal downhill as well :tongue: but survived none the less.

Got a chance this Sunday pasted to ride out with the local cycle club so decided to brave it and flip the hub back to fixed. Ended up covering 65 miles in fixed. It was hard and my legs killed me but I didn't falls off (But came close to it :biggrin:) so all's well that end's well I suppose.

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Cheers for the heads up chaps,i will no doupt flip back to fixed on a nice sunday run as opposed to playing with it during the daily commute.Must admit it felt strange this morning going back to freewheel and i've onlt ridden fixed a couple of times !

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
It's just a case of practice makes perfect. The first couple of weeks can be a challenge but once you have got your first big downhill out of the way and the few ocassions where you brain says "lets freewheel over that speedhump" and your legs say no chance it does become easier.

OP
OP
skudupnorth

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
It's just a case of practice makes perfect. The first couple of weeks can be a challenge but once you have got your first big downhill out of the way and the few ocassions where you brain says "lets freewheel over that speedhump" and your legs say no chance it does become easier.

Hills not good ! I have no problem blasting up them, but peddling like a kid on a BMX downhill is not so good ! Might be tempted to change the gearing once i have got used to it,seems a bit to easy at the moment.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've always found fixed excellent for commuting and general running about. I rode a home brewed fixed in the late eighties, early nineties, I brought my present fixed, a Pearson Touche, three years ago and have been using it for commuting, general running about and winter club runs, I do most of my riding fixed.

nilling

Über Member
I had my first proper ride out on my fixed last Fri. Before then I'd just ridden around the block making sure saddle was set right. But yes it's a real eye opener especailly junctions, traffic lights, roundabouts ;)

I stopped at traffic lights, turning right. The lights changed but there where on-coming cars. On regular bike I'd scoot forwards using my unclipped foot whilst standing on the pedal of my clipped-in foot. I tried it on the fixie and felt a right mong, as I kinda sat on the top tube whilst my clipped in leg turned!

So for moving a small distance do you unclip both feet and walk? Or learn to trackstand?

D

Deleted member 1258

I had my first proper ride out on my fixed last Fri. Before then I'd just ridden around the block making sure saddle was set right. But yes it's a real eye opener especailly junctions, traffic lights, roundabouts ;)

I stopped at traffic lights, turning right. The lights changed but there where on-coming cars. On regular bike I'd scoot forwards using my unclipped foot whilst standing on the pedal of my clipped-in foot. I tried it on the fixie and felt a right mong, as I kinda sat on the top tube whilst my clipped in leg turned!

So for moving a small distance do you unclip both feet and walk? Or learn to trackstand?

Learn to trackstand, or learn to creep very slowly, or both.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo

I do it much the same way you do, scoot along with the clipped in foot following the pedal around.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I bit the bullet and commuted in Today on the fixed, for the first time :smile: It wasn't as knackering as I thought it might be. Although as others have mentioned, I can see situations where I might easily forget what I'm riding on...

Will be interesting to see if I last all week on it, or swap to the road bike / flip it to SS.

Top Bottom