A steep un-learning curve (and a potential learning one.)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I have updated and notified @4F via Facebook, but I thought it would be remiss not to also mention to all you fellow CC nuts that I have completed his qualifying ride i.e. up and down Bishop's Hill in Ipswich. I am still unable to form a track stand on a fixed gear (and also perform a skid stop), but I'm working on it. The weird thing is, at some point, I transitioned from feeling unhappy about trying to resist the forward motion of the pedals, to entering some alternative reality where it feels like I'm pedalling backwards - even though I'm going forward.
Incidentally, I'm also now thinking about how I can convert one of my other rides to Fixed Gear.
I may be becoming addicted ...

Here's a photo of the hill. (For all of you in Yorkshire, stop laughing now.)

IMG_3017.jpg

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Well, I'm now up to the occasional 5 to 6 second track stand; up and down possibly Ipswich's steepest road (Devonshire 25%); and choosing my Fixed Gear as my go-to ride for minor excursions (twice today). And the number of moments when I forget I have to pedal are becoming increasingly fewer. :rolleyes:
Onwards!

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Having never ridden a fixie I have often wondered - on a downhill with high cadence, do you actively try to spin your legs to keep up, or just relax them and let the cranks turn them over?

I find the second option harder but I think it's possible, I'm not sure how relaxed my legs are in reality though.

Top Bottom