A steep un-learning curve (and a potential learning one.)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I've spent the last week and a bit trying out my new Fixed Gear. (Stem has been lowered and SPDs attached.) The 'fun' part has, of course, been to remember that I have to turn the pedals. What I hadn't expected was how much the instincts I've built up over the years on other bikes can overwhelm any conscious thought. I have discovered that - just like on my motorbike when I brake and simultaneously close the throttle and pull in the cutch - that when I brake on a bicycle, I automatically stop pedalling. On my new Fixed Gear, this has led to moments - when I've been building up to a speed I'm not yet happy with down a hill - of my legs flailing and spinning around like a puppet's which has had its strings cut. :blink: I will persevere - I do believe I'm becoming a fan.
And I might yet try out some of the skills in this 1901 book I got for my 63rd birthday which seem all Fixed Gear ... ^_^

photo (18).JPG

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Takes a few weeks, but keep at it. Spent 7 years commuting on fixed.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Smooth spinning at a high rpm takes practice. Old bikes such as in your illustration had footpegs on the frame or forks. There were no freewheels until a few years later. If you don't have anywhere to rest your feet, beware of removing your feet from pedals at speed.

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
The un-learning continues (ironically) apace. I just been out for a ride this afternoon to experiment with 'hills' nearby to see if the gearing feels right. Manged to get to the top of Brightwell Hill without popping any important veins and am getting happier with the higher cadence needed coming down.
I'm also experimenting more with how it feels to resist the turning of the pedals as a means to help slow the bike and, I think, progress has been made.
And I am most definitely getting to understand the idea that riding a Fixed Gear bike puts the rider more 'in touch' with the experience - in an enjoyable way.
Bring on the addiction! :whistle:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Brightwell hill is a good starting point, when you can get up and down Bishops hill then you know you are there. We must catch up soon for a fixed ride together

alicat

Legendary Member
The only way I can do fixed is to say 'pedal' out loud when I set off. That and bars that are different to my other bars helps.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
My fixed frame broke in December and I only got it back a couple of weeks ago. I managed to get above 170rpm cadence on the last outing, which isn't something I normally achieve on gears. Only downhill of course.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I managed to get above 170rpm cadence on the last outing, which isn't something I normally achieve on gears. Only downhill of course.

I really would NOT fancy attempting to do that!

The descent on the A58 from Blackstone Edge to Littleborough would mean braking or a cadence of 240 rpm if the wind conditions were right...:eek:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I really would NOT fancy attempting to do that!

The descent on the A58 from Blackstone Edge to Littleborough would mean braking or a cadence of 240 rpm if the wind conditions were right...:eek:

The best I ever managed was 212rpm, but I was about 30yrs younger then.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Having never ridden a fixie I have often wondered - on a downhill with high cadence, do you actively try to spin your legs to keep up, or just relax them and let the cranks turn them over?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Unusually, the prevailing SW-ish wind has been replaced by a NE-ish wind for about a week. I'm sure that I could hit close to 100 km/hr down there at the moment. I have done 90 before without so much assistance.

I am starting to get a bit nervous at higher speeds now though, and seeing that huge high-speed pile-up in the men's Liège–Bastogne–Liège at the weekend definitely did not help!

bonker

Guru
Having never ridden a fixie I have often wondered - on a downhill with high cadence, do you actively try to spin your legs to keep up, or just relax them and let the cranks turn them over?

It's a sort of controlled relax.
I bought a cheap fixed on a whim, traded up after a few years and have used it as my main commute for at least 10 years. It's great; I'll take the fixed out rather than my carbon bike for fun rides now. It must have been the worst business decision the bike shop ever made as my expenditure dropped massively once I rode fixed.
I took to it like a duck to water. Only wobble was about six month in when I tried to bunny hop a pothole. Other thing to note is squeezing through small gaps can be harder as your legs are moving. Came a cropper doing that twice.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

You have to try and disengage your brain about thinking of spinning your legs, and just let them go. Over time it becomes easier.

Top Bottom