Well that went badly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
If thats meters im in :smile:

Yer I reckon I have been back at it under a month, 4 weeks ago 4 mile had me sweating.

If the next infromal ride is around 40-45 miles i will do my best to be there. By august I might tackle another 50 lol

4 mile rides 4 weeks ago :eek:, I'd call that pretty good progress!

:biggrin: The beauty with the Pedal for Cake ride is that there is a train line near the route for most of the way. So anybody can join in/disappear wherever they like, whether it's due to other commitments on the day :ohmy: , or if they want to try a 100 MILES :laugh: and aren't sure whether they can make it all the way ;) ... I might be in the former or latter category, depending on our visitor.

The trick is to make sure you do a section that has at least one cake stop along the route :hungry:

T

lazyfatgit

Well done on your 50.

don't be beating yourself up. As already posted by someone, sleep, eating, hydration etc all have a big influence on how you do on the day. Everyone on here will have had a day they'd love to forget, it just happens sometimes.

when i got back on the bike and started going for longer rides, I often chose a route that crossed a rail line at several points so i could bail if i got tired or injured or the weather just turned bad. As I got fitter on some of the routes where I planned to get a train home, I actually felt good and cycled back.

cheers.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
You absolute tart, how could you give up, and ruin a pair of cleats into the bargain. You should be ashamed of yourself, a wee lassie could probably have finished out the distance with you on her back!!!

Nah, seriously, that's good going, I had a similar upward curve when I started, unable to complete 3.5 miles without pushing up a hill, to 50 miles in a short period. It does improve quite quickly, after two rides of just over 50 I was on to 100 miles in one leap. The 100, barring some knee pain from poor saddle position fixed for me by others on the ride, was far less painful than the first 50.

Get out with those guys and you'll pick up the distance in no time, company makes it go easier as well.

BenScoobert

Had feeling I was pushing it my longest ride before today was 28 mile, went out with a CTC club and JimBhoy today and attempted 85.

Turned out I was pushing it managed about 53 miles ish told the rest of the group to ride on as I was going far too slowly by this stage, My arse hurt and my legs wouldnt go round anymore, phoned my uncle and told him I had a problem I couldnt fix, walked a further 2 miles on my cleats as it was cold i never wanted to stand still , so on top of the embarrassment I need new cleats.
sad.gif

I'd be proud, I started at 2 miles on the old mountain bike. 4 miles on the 2nd trip, 3 offroad on the 3rd trip and I fell off which put me out of action for 2 weeks.
Now impatiently waiting for a new bike delivery which won't be going offroad.

50 miles is awesome, don't do yourself down.

EDIT: In my defense I live on the pennines and all roads appear to go uphill

Well done! It sounds to me as though you might well have made the whole ride distance if you hadn't burnt yourself out by keeping up with the more experienced riders. Try a gentler pace next time and you could well surprise yourself.

e-rider

crappy member
sounds like you bonked - eat and drink plenty next time and just keep going. Perhaps be more realistic about what you can achieve also ie. don't go for a 100 quite yet!

Well done Davie B!! 50 miles is an amazing achievement in such a short time! No way I would have managed that just after I had started!

You are ready now for the CC Ecosse Pedal for Cake ride. There are plenty of options for distance, all the way up to 150 miles! (Actually 200 is probably doable, Edinburgh>Glasgow> Edinburgh>Glasgow>Edinburgh!!!!). Probably best to aim for one of the lower options. :smile:

Had feeling I was pushing it my longest ride before today was 28 mile, went out with a CTC club and JimBhoy today and attempted 85.

Turned out I was pushing it managed about 53 miles ish told the rest of the group to ride on as I was going far too slowly by this stage, My arse hurt and my legs wouldnt go round anymore, phoned my uncle and told him I had a problem I couldnt fix, walked a further 2 miles on my cleats as it was cold i never wanted to stand still , so on top of the embarrassment I need new cleats.
sad.gif

You have done ok mate, next time you do 50mls it will feel easier, you know what they say, pratice make perfect. you did right to stop when you did, and please dont be embarrassment. as you say you where feeling cold at this time of the year, I feel maybe you where dehydrated and your blood sugar levels where low.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Well done Davie B!! 50 miles is an amazing achievement in such a short time! No way I would have managed that just after I had started!

You are ready now for the CC Ecosse Pedal for Cake ride. There are plenty of options for distance, all the way up to 150 miles! (Actually 200 is probably doable, Edinburgh>Glasgow> Edinburgh>Glasgow>Edinburgh!!!!). Probably best to aim for one of the lower options. :smile:

So you are going for the double then Mags... :evil:

Davie B (this could get confusing when we start using real names on the ride) , your welcome to come on the CC Ecosse Pedal for Cake ride, and if you don't fancy cycling all the way back from Edinburgh just get the train. There is talk of cake at both ends!!

So you are going for the double then Mags... :evil:

Davie B (this could get confusing when we start using real names on the ride) , your welcome to come on the CC Ecosse Pedal for Cake ride, and if you don't fancy cycling all the way back from Edinburgh just get the train. There is talk of cake at both ends!!

Not a chance!! :ohmy: I'll be well chuffed to get 100 miles this year. Next year I plan to do my 190 mile (300k) ride, but I'll need significantly more raining for that! :smile:

OP
OP
DavieB

DavieB

MIA
Ill try to get to the pedal for cake ride,(50 mile) just depends whether I have my daughters or not that weekend, I get them most weekends and tend to make the most of it. I might even have a new bike to show off by then
Laie_76A.gif

Im doing a 28 mile ride this weekend with skyride, will cycle to start and cycle home again though so should be about 50 again
biggrin.gif
. Got new cleats today and bought a couple of inner tubes. So all ready to go again.

Top Bottom