Well-written anti-bicycle rego article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
One of the few journalists in Australia who is also a committed cyclist, Michael Reilly, just wrote this article, making some nice points about why cyclists shouldn't pay registration. I'm guessing a lot of these points, perhaps all, would apply equally to cycling in the UK?

http://www.theage.com.au/executive-...g-bicycles-is-a-bad-idea-20150318-1m23gh.html

No doubt if/when the comments are opened for this article, some people will start posting the usual anti-cyclist stuff. I plan not to read the comments, though.

Drago

Legendary Member
Why does he bother? Haters gotta hate, and won't stop doing so because he's resorted to logic and reason.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I do believe you have it worse than Brits on bikes do. BTW, what does ''rortable'' mean? (Point 11) Is it a portmanteau word standing for portable and reportable?

Keith Oates

Janner
It's just the mind set in the UK that is the problem, if you touch somebody's car they get very upset even if no damage was inflicted. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
No one's yet given me a good reason why bikes should pay more VED than, say, a Porsche Panamera hybrid, at £0.
Not that any government seems to want to charge us - it's just the dickheads shouting it out of cars..

We're the outgroup that people can still pick on and get away with it. As Drago says haters are gonna hate.

People do seem to be especially & wilfully dense on the subject though.

The then British empire had bicycle licence laws in operation right across. It was dismantled decades ago because it just added to the bureaucracy for little value and stopped some taking to the roads. There has never any reasonable grounds to bring them back. We now have kids cycling to schools at a very young age.

The article is just a waste of space except to entertain a few who have no idea what is going on.

A police can take action against an errant cyclist currently without the need for a licence to be in place. So why would you need licence. Maybe to pay for the fair share of road use? The continental Europeans got it right. It encourages less motorised traffic, reduces food print both physical and carbon and it adds to the health and wealth being of society.

Maybe the author should put out an article why bottled water is so expensive which I gather would be of interest.

Top Bottom