Wellens work around

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As the uci banned riding with the wrists over the bars Tim Wellens has tried a modification that allows him to ride with his hands on the levers with the arms resting on extra padded tops , technically hes still holding onto the controls but has gained an extra support which is not so i wonder how long it will be before it gets banned ?
1645349648766.png

1645349672180.png

BurningLegs

Veteran
Can’t really see the modification from this angle, maybe a side photo would show it better?

Are you saying that his bars have been modified to include a section behind them for him to rest on?!

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Can't see a problem with that; he's complying by having his hands on the brakes - which was the previous issue. This position happens all the time in racing, he's just raised it a bit with padding.

The current trend for very narrow 26-28cm bars, which limit control, is more of a concern imo.

Chislenko

Veteran
Must be effective, I'm sure I saw him win a stage yesterday although watching four different races I can't remember where!!!! Was it Tour Alpes?

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

you may be right although installed on the top of the bar to increase height rather than the back to increase width

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If this is a sneaky work around to avoid the rules, it doesn't seem very sneaky to me.

The "puppy paws" position that was banned had the wrists/forearms very close together as the only point of contact with the bars, and the hands away from the brakes.

But this has hands on the brakes, elbows at or about the width of the bars and looks pretty normal.

Top Bottom