Wellington Arch (LDN) cycling etiquette - please don't use all of the space in one direction!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SW19cam

Über Member
This is a pretty London-centric post, so my apologies. More specifically, a post for those who cycle through Wellington Arch by Hyde Park Corner or for those who may do so in the future.

I’m back to regularly cycling this junction, and I’ve noticed the same problems as I used to encounter with it. It’s not motorized traffic – it’s the mad cyclists who race through Wellington Arch spread out and overtaking each other in the confined space.

Wellington Arch is not particularly wide, I think you can get 3 bikes in a line max safely. The set up is such that there’s no benefit of cycling fast because you will always get stopped by the next set of lights (In the videos below – the ones over to Constitution Hill / Green Park). But even regardless of this, it’s a shared space area which we should be using courteously.

So if you’re one of these types of cyclists in the video below, kindly do not allow one direction of traffic to use up more than half of the space, and please keep to your left. Also, remember pedestrians use this area too so please do not ‘race’.

Rant over. Your thoughts appreciated.

Videos:
http://youtu.be/f77hWxeh_XE

http://youtu.be/CTP_HIJ4fAQ

Of course I’m sure Wellington Arch is not the only place cyclists misbehave…;)

rb58

Enigma
You should try it when we're setting off for a FNRttC.........

OP
OP
SW19cam

SW19cam

Über Member
You should try it when we're setting off for a FNRttC.........

I've been promising myself I'll get involved in some more FNRTTC... almost as much as promising myself I'll clear the bike. I've finally cleaned the bike, so I reckon early next year I'll get to see...

But seriously, I'm really unimpressed with this type of cycling I've been seeing. I wouldn't be surprised if people think it's a bit of a bore, but in order to allow everyone to enjoy cycling we need to commute courteously....

I'm afraid you will just have to live with the mix of avoiding other cyclists, pedestrians/sightseers and piles of horse poo. Cos it ain't gonna change, especially not from a plea on CC.

OP
OP
SW19cam

SW19cam

Über Member
I'm afraid you will just have to live with the mix of avoiding other cyclists, pedestrians/sightseers and piles of horse poo. Cos it ain't gonna change, especially not from a plea on CC.

I'm under no delusion that posting a rant here about it will change it significantly. I would assume most of us wouldn't cycle like the cyclists I am describing (Or at least not purposefully...),

Nothing wrong with a Friday afternoon rant though huh?;) Sometimes it's good to let off a bit of steam, and also see if others get frustrated by the same things. (Especially in a work break...). ;)

I'm under no delusion that posting a rant here about it will change it significantly. I would assume most of us wouldn't cycle like the cyclists I am describing (Or at least not purposefully...),

Nothing wrong with a Friday afternoon rant though huh?;) Sometimes it's good to let off a bit of steam, and also see if others get frustrated by the same things. (Especially in a work break...). ;)

The main problem I think is actually the traffic lights at either end. If they are red you usually have to wait a long time for a green so there is a tendency to rush to get to the other end to avoid missing a green phase not helped by the slight downhill heading away from Hyde Park. And the horse poo of course.

Top Bottom