Welsh Border / Shropshire Mini-tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pw2389

Hi everyone,

I've got a week off at the end of the month and was thinking of doing a 3 or 4 day tour along the Welsh border/Shropshire/Herefordshire area as I've never really been to that part of the country.

My rough plan would see me starting at Chepstow and finishing at Shrewsbury. What I would appreciate is if anyone has ideas for where would be great to cycle between these two points? I'd hate to miss out on something for the sake of a 10/20 mile diversion.

I would probably do a B & B tour but I can take my tent if you think it worthwhile.

Many thanks for your responses

Paul

northwalessaint

Just enjoyed the Bank Holiday weekend cycling around Church Stretton, Ludlow, Clun & Much Wenlock.Wonderful area, but quite a few hills. Keep off the main road (A49) & the back roads are delightful. The Tourist Offices have info. on some cycle rides that can be downloaded, but not much on through routes. Suggest you get the O.S. Sheet & plot a route using minor lanes.
Enjoy!

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Over the Gospel Pass to Hay-on-Wye. Great scenery and great bookshops.

TwoTired

Just a few names (you can't do them all)

Chepstow, Tintern, Monmouth, Gospel Pass, Golden Valley, Ludlow, Stokesay, Long Mynd, Stiperstones.

Lovely stuff but lumpy! especially if follow the border.

If you come to Monmouth, make sure you visit The Malt House. Fantastic tapas and very reasonably priced.
I'd recommend:

Chepstow - Monmouth (up the Wye valley and very scenic).
Monmouth - Hay-on-Wye, along the Golden Valley.
Hay-on-Wye - Ludlow.
Ludlow - Little Stretton (near Church Stretton and home to a very pretty campsite).
Little Stretton - Shrewsbury.

This will take you through lots of lovely scenery, through some historic towns and past some great pubs, including the Cherry Tree at Tintern, The Boat at Redbrook, The Blue Boar in Hay-on-Wye, The Kangaroo in Broomfield or The Compasses in Wigmore (both near Ludlow), The Church Inn in Ludlow and any number of good pubs in Shrewsbury. On the other hand, you don't go to Bishop's Castle or Clun, both of which are worth a visit. Still, I hope it's given you some ideas. Enjoy!

OP
OP
pw2389

pw2389

Thanks for the response, folks. I'm still working up a plan but your views have given me the outline.

Paul

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
From Chepstow to Hay on Wye you can follow the first part of the Lon Las Cymru (I forget the number of the Sustrans route but it is well signposted). The route starts from outside Chepstow castle and I can thoroughly recommend it.

Top Bottom