Went for a ride that included a ten mile stretch along the canal...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
so yes, I went for a ride that included a ten mile stretch along the canal... the ten mile stretch had no locks, no bridges where to tow path switches side, just a nice long section of flat, often bumpy tow path... or so i thought.

According MapMyRide, the ten miles of canal is far far hillier than i imagined. (it's the bit between the two purple markers)
canal-confusion.jpg
(ignore the blue line, that just shows how slow i am)

The red line shows that my elevation above sea level varied between 63ft and 99ft... but that can't be right.. surely :scratch:

not unless water can now flow uphill:wacko:

stuee147

Its surprising just how hilly a flat area can be I never found a road or path Thats flat they all seem to undulate a lot. But its such a gradual thing that you never really notice it at the time

Globalti

Legendary Member
Curious indeed; the tow path wouldn't vary by more than a couple of feet above the water. Could it just be down to aberrations in the mapping?

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Given the curvature of the earth, and the fact all canals still flow downstream - albeit a lot slower than a river - I don't think 30 feet is a massive drop in 10 miles.
good point, although the 30ft drop is over about 5 miles... it's the little sharp peaks and troughs in the middle i also find baffling because it's flat flat flat apart from the odd 4" speed hump..

Do all *lock free* canal journeys undulate like this?

Brains

Legendary Member
...... and now you see the inaccuracy of the American GPS system, it's got better over the last decade, but a 10 meter accuracy (horizontal and vertical) in northern Europe with a good view of the southern sky is as good as you are going to get .

The European Galileo GPS system which goes live in a couple of years will be accurate to within one meter

Top Bottom