Went into town with 4 children!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kerry

Regular
Well, as the title says I went into town today with our four children all on our bikes! Was our first time all together. I was rather stressed, but I coped and kept them all safe. We walked across a nasty roundabout, (which the cars actually stopped to allow us to cross!) and one really nasty junction in town. Also just worked out my 5 year old has clocked up 50miles this week on her own bike, bless her. What order would you reccomend us to travel? We have a 5, 7, 11 and 13 year old. Today I had 11yr old in front. Then the little ones. Me. And the 13 year old behind. Worked fairly well, but any better ideas would be much appreciated!. Thanks, Kerry

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Communicator at the front, naughty one second, third can be any, confident rider at the back and you go backwards and forwards as needed (normally ride at the back so you can see everyone, but move to the front at junctions/pinch points/parked cars etc so you can see what's happening

Sandra6

Veteran
Well done you. I can't trust my youngest (7) on the open road just yet, so hats off to you.
If I take my three youngest (12, 10 and 7) out, just quiet streets and cycle ways, I usually have the 10 and 12 year olds out in front and the 7 year old almost alongside me. I do get more twitchy if I have one behind me, but on the open roads it's probably easier to keep grouped together with atleast one behind.

OP
OP
K

Kerry

Regular
Thank you all for your replies. It's actually the 5yr old who encourages me to get out there and do it! She is loving it. I always have her just in front of me as she needs constant instructions. Our longest route so far was 12miles. Yesterday we did 10 and she was so proud that she cycled up all the hills without stopping. And I think you're right about motorists being better when they see children.

Top Bottom