We're a team of EE design students. Help us design a smart helmet!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is a device for an accident that occurs in a remote area where this is no one to aid you, but not so remote that you are out of mobile range. It requires an accident serious enough to set off the electronics in the helmet, but not serious enough to destroy them. It has to be an accident where you have been so badly injured that you can't use your phone, or that your phone is disabled, but you helmet is working. It also requires that you have remembered to recharge/replace the battery before your ride. How many bicycle accidents does this apply to?

Also, most mobile phones have accelerometers in them: if it's on the bike, it will sense the accident too. Wouldn't this be better as a phone app, and it would alert people if you were in a car accident, train crash or pedestrian collision?

Or if you dropped your phone.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
You would need a reset button so if you weren't seriously hurt but came of the bike, the emergency services weren't not called out unnecessarilly. I came of my bike at speed yesterday on a very dangerous stretch of road. I suffered minor injury and the bike suffered some scratches, but I didn't need the emergency services or assistance for that matter, other than a bit of sympathy from the wife when I got home. In that instance if the device triggered I would want to reset it.

Sara_H

Guru
Cycling is not dangerous. We don't need this.
Aim it a car drivers, they need it more than we do.

FFS.
I agree with you in principle, though have to admit, since I was injured in a deliberate hit and run a few weeks ago, I now go out with a variety of safety devices strapped to my person. One of which is an iphone app that I can activate and it then sends my partner text messages telling him I need help and where I am!

young Ed

Veteran
one issue i can see is that all those electronics and a battery and all in a helmet on my head would be rather heavy and thus uncomfortable so i could agree with having it on the frame
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom