We're a team of EE design students. Help us design a smart helmet!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi! We are electrical engineering students at the University of New South Wales (UNSW). We're trying to design a smart bicycle helmet that senses a serious crash using an accelerometer, and sends your GPS location to a list of phone numbers via SMS. We're interested in seeing what the cycling community thinks of the idea.

We've written up a really brief survey, it'd be really helpful if you could fill it out. All the questions are optional with space to add extra detail. A typical response should take less than 60 seconds of your time.

If you want to leave constructive feedback or questions in the form of replies to the thread as well, that's cool too! I'll be checking back for replies - I'm not just here to spam you and leave. If you frequent cycling subreddits, you may see this posted there too.

Thanks so much! :smile:

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Google eCall + EU. The concept is going to be compulsory for cars in the none too distant future:

"In case of a crash, an eCall-equipped car automatically calls the nearest emergency centre. Even if no passenger is able to speak, e.g. due to injuries, a 'Minimum Set of Data' is sent, which includes the exact location of the crash site. Shortly after the accident, emergency services therefore know that there has been an accident, and where exactly."

Ern1e

Über Member
Hi welcome and also done,but may I also add what if you are one of the many cyclists who choose not to use an helmet ? are you going to offer a frame mounted version of it.The idea sounds quite good and may also save a life perhaps so yes I would be intrested if the price is right.

Ern1e

Über Member
Cycling is not dangerous. We don't need this.
Aim it a car drivers, they need it more than we do.

FFS.
I agree cycling is not dangerous for the most part but ! a few weeks ago I awoke really early one Sunday morning (4am) and went out on to our adrenalin coarse (mtb) and low and behold I was the only silly sod up there,ok had anything happened it may have been hours before being found so on this instance a device like this could be quite a usefull tool to have with me,so @Fab Foodie whilst not wanting to seem like some kind of upstart I would disagree with it being aimed at drivers !!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I would wear/have on the bike a device like that.
Not because cycling is more dangerous than other activities, but because sometimes I fancy cycling in remote locations, don't have anybody at home come looking if I'm missing. Doesn't have to be a crash with a car @Fab Foodie, one could faint or fall into a ditch?
In don't think the helmet is ideal for this device though. For a start cyclists don't always wear one, seconds helmets can be dropped.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@Ern1e and @Pat "5mph" you are both falling into the the 'sale of fear' trap. Those things are hugely unlikely to happen to the extent that renders such a device as ridiculous. You could be struck by a meteorite ....
Cycling is a very safe activity. Especially compared to car driving. So my point stands.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Put it in the frame and add a tracker, that would be useful for theft as well.
FWIW I quite often cycle home after dark on country lanes that are not used much and have 'visited' the odd ditch or two, and not through being unable to see them. :whistle:

Arthur

Comfortably numb and increasingly fixed.
I also do the occasional ride on very rural roads after dark, so would consider something like this if it could be mounted inside the frame of the bike, Helmet, no, as I choose not to use one.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Cycling itself might not be dangerous @Fab Foodie , cycling by yourself in remote locations could add an element of risk. Hill walkers would maybe buy it too?
Still, I don't think this particular device would work: what if there's no signal?
I cycle and I do regular hill walks myself ( no 'no mates' jokes, I prefer my own company).
There are other ways to utilise this technology, I also am a radio ham and this type of 'tracking' is used in APRS (I've also used this in the past)..
there are options I'm sure for using low powered transmissions.....
A great idea which could be a 'goer'....
I also use Endomondo which tracks you in real time, pretty accurate as well but mobile data is needed but up here in Jockland, coverage is sparse in the wilds....

Top Bottom