We're getting there

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not just for crash patch up but much better for applying embrocation - I used to shave my legs but that was 'in season' only - embrocation is the warming muscle rub stuff..

I don't bother now, hence don't were Lycra shorts on their own, so generally have bibs on. Hairy legs and bling bikes doesn't go. Doesn't matter if its an MTB though - hairy legs and MTB's go OK.

simonali

Guru
I rode to work in shorts this morning. Bizarrely, it was around 9° when I left at 6:30am, but only 5-6° at 9am!

Wasn't a great ride as I decided that my rear hanger may be bent and that my saddle was too low. The latter is now rectumfied, but bike might have to go back for the former, seeing as it's brand new!

Blue

Legendary Member
Cathryn said:
Can I ask a question. Does shaving your legs SERIOUSLY make you go much faster? IMHO it's no better a look for blokes than UNSHAVEN legs is a good look for girls. I just think it's a bit odd. But if you tell me you really notice a difference.....?

Unless you race, when the crash/massage aspects are important, it's 100% about posing or wanting to be a girl. :blush:

simonali

Guru
Cathryn said:
Can I ask a question. Does shaving your legs SERIOUSLY make you go much faster? IMHO it's no better a look for blokes than UNSHAVEN legs is a good look for girls. I just think it's a bit odd. But if you tell me you really notice a difference.....?

I did it once in me yoof and although quite a lot of ladies seemed to like it, the mickey taking from blokes outweighed that aspect many times over!

I believe the pros do it as they get a professional massage every night (no hand relief) and it makes it easier for the rubbing in of oils, or whatever.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Cathryn said:

I can't speak for the rest, but it makes me go no faster.
It does however look MUCH better in the Lycra...but I guess you have to have the legs for it :blush::tongue::biggrin:

Oh, and I like it in a slightly totally pervy way...:blush:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
This is seriously interesting. Call me thick but I always thought it was about speed, so am interested in the whole massage/crash thing. I guess it's part of the look for cycling blokes, but just find it odd that you guys embrace what most blokes wouldn't dream of doing!!

Off to shave my own legs now in sympathy - well, the one leg that isn't stuck in pink plaster :blush:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Cathryn said:
This is seriously interesting. Call me thick but I always thought it was about speed, so am interested in the whole massage/crash thing. I guess it's part of the look for cycling blokes, but just find it odd that you guys embrace what most blokes wouldn't dream of doing!!

Off to shave my own legs now in sympathy - well, the one leg that isn't stuck in pink plaster :tongue:

I always dreamt of doing it...and cycling gave me the excuse:biggrin:

Mrs FF's boss (an Aussie fellow btw) is completely shaven...:smile:

mondobongo

Über Member
Hairy legs and lycra looks terrible and we have to go through the milk bottle stage as well at this time of year which is not pretty either.

ChrisKH

Guru
If I did it it would be for purely personal or aesthetic reasons; Lycra does look pretty silly with really hairy legs like mine. Cathryn, I have to say I hate having hair anywhere other than my head and there's little there.

I haven't yet made the jump to shave my legs but may do so this year. I was thinking this morning I wodner how many on here do actually use some sort of unguent on their legs (not the women, they practically bathe in the stuff). I'm using up the missus's old creams she has (cocoa butter from Body Shop, I think) as my legs are prone to very dry skin. It would be so much easier without the hair.

Top Bottom