Were Huffy MTB's ever officially sold in the UK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Just curious as I got hold of a scrapper Mountain Ridge ATB a few days ago. Nothing to get too excited about; just a heavy hi-tensile ladies frame, flexy steel caliper rim brakes, one-piece steel cranks, and steel wheels with a black coating - probably to make them look like anodised aluminium! Stamp on BMX-sized stem suggests it was made in 1993. Had a spatter paint job on main frame with forks & bars in a rather lurid mauve colour! USA flag on the head tube, but no idea if it was USA made or imported & badged as USA.
I've since stripped it of everything useful and binned the frame. The wheels look pretty sturdy (and are also heavy!) so might be ideal for hack use on potholed roads. I thought I'd seen pretty much every variant of the 26" rigid MTB ever sold in the UK, but I must admit this is the first Huffy I've encountered.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It would seem they were and still are but only children's models. Look on eBay, you'll see plenty. Gumtree reveals some but again only kids bikes.
Your one was maybe brought in privately. See loads of them down here.

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
This was quite a large full-sized ladies frame - about 20" seat tube and a long wheelbase too, not a junior sized bike. Possibly you may be right about it being imported privately, although I wouldn't have thought it worth the effort or expense given it's only one level up from a BSO.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Pretty much a BSO, sold in grocery and department stores. Now made in China, mainly. Always heavy, always with poor components, like stamped steel brakes. One of the few brands that actually improved with the move of production to China, but not much.

Top Bottom