We're off - European Tour 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobinS

Veteran
Panniers packed, bikes fettled, Euro Card charged up - off to Portsmouth for the 20:15 ferry to St Malo, head south to Nantes, then hopefully follow the Eurovelo 6 east as far as Bratislava, hang a left for Prague, then the ElbeRadweg to Cuxhaven, and North Sea cycle route to Hook of Holland and ferry home. That's the plan - though how it all turns out may be a completely different story - but you'll all have to wait for a full trip write-up when we get back in August to find out!

yello

Plans are made to be changed! Nothing in life ought be too scripted!

Enjoy!! May the wind be at your backs (or nonexistent)

For something a bit different, a day trip from Cuxhaven to the tax-free island of Heligoland. Nordeney is also an interesting offshore watering hole. I once got gloriously drunk in Cuxhaven and on the way back to the campsite I took this photo of cyclists coming in the other direction. My appreciation of it was an expression of my alcohol intake.

Cuxhaven by night:

IMG_5319.JPG

Have a good trip RobinS!

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm not jealous at all :cry:. I used to love cycling in France and have completed the length of the "Loire a velo" route, where you are headed. Since meeting a new partner these tours have been curtailed; she calls it "compromising" :rolleyes: as she has zero interest in cycling. It's coming to the time of year when I'm really going to miss it. I even miss that Brittany ferry to St. Malo, and arriving in the morning to fresh croissants in the old town. Have a great trip! :cheers:

yello

arriving in the morning to fresh croissants
The only time to eat them imho. Ime, they're pretty disappointing after midday! Ditto bread and pastries. But you're right, it's an experience in and of itself.

In my case, it was in Corsica (Porto-Vecchio to be precise) that I first experienced that heavenly coming together of bicycle, morning, a good coffee and a fresh pastry. Few things beat it as an existential experience, a moment for mindfulness. That I could repeat it doesn't ruin it's specialness one iota - and you know it's good when you can say that!

Last edited:
Top Bottom