wessex ridgeway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albal

Guru
anyone done wessex ridgeway? it does go onto norfolk, but only doing dorset.Whats the terrain like? and any b & b about?

NO. I haven't. How much online research have you done so far ?

Google is a start.

andym

Über Member
John

It's actually also bridleway/RUPP which gave its name to the long-distance footpath. The Ridgeway is well known to mountainbikers. Although generally people do the fairly straightforward stretch from (say) Goring to Avebury. From Avebury the Ridgeway becomes the Wessex Ridgeway which is a lot bittier - although it regains continuity in south Wiltshire and into Dorset.

Oh, and it's kilometres.

Albal

I've been planning on doing it too. But if you live in Dorset you've probably got a better idea than anyone of the terrain!

If you need advice your best bet might be to try on www.singletrackworld.com - I know there are some people from the Dorchester area who post on there and who would know the Wessex Ridgeway and be able to help.

andym said:
John

It's actually also bridleway/RUPP which gave its name to the long-distance footpath. The Ridgeway is well known to mountainbikers. Although generally people do the fairly straightforward stretch from (say) Goring to Avebury. From Avebury the Ridgeway becomes the Wessex Ridgeway which is a lot bittier - although it regains continuity in south Wiltshire and into Dorset.

Oh, and it's kilometres.

Albal

I've been planning on doing it too. But if you live in Dorset you've probably got a better idea than anyone of the terrain!

If you need advice your best bet might be to try on www.singletrackworld.com - I know there are some people from the Dorchester area who post on there and who would know the Wessex Ridgeway and be able to help.

Andy I gave up correcting cut&pastes a long time ago. Probably should have put it in quotes. The OP was specific to the WESSEX Ridgeway, not the Ridgeway in total.

I still envy people who get around to riding it. I was set to walk sections of the Ridgeway until I started to get arthrytis in my feet. Certainly cuts down on daily distances.

OP
OP
albal

albal

Guru
yeah thanks, I have been in touch with local tourist board & they are sending details on to me.Hoping to do it early next week with 2 pals.I am only concerned about which tyres to use?

andym

Über Member
albal said:
yeah thanks, I have been in touch with local tourist board & they are sending details on to me.Hoping to do it early next week with 2 pals.I am only concerned about which tyres to use?

Normal XC tyres? I suppose it could get muddy if the bad weather keeps up.

OP
OP
albal

albal

Guru
depart Lyme Tues 0900 hrs. Weather picking up weds (allegedly), keep you posted when i return.

andym

Über Member
Have good one. Hope the weather improves. Did you get anything useful from the tourist board.

mike1026

I have ridden the Ridgeway from Marlborough to Avebury and to Barbury Castle on NCR4 and NCR45.
The surface is mostly a rough stone interspersed with very deep ruts caused by agricultural vehicles. I cycled these sections in the dry but there was evidence of what it could be like in wet weather by deep muddy bits. I found it impossible to cycle through the deep ruts.
I don’t know if the surface is any better on the section you intend to try, but the best advice I can give based on my experience is to make sure that you have tools to tighten every bolt and fixing. Prolonged riding on these rough surfaces will loosen almost everything on the bike so make regular checks.

OP
OP
albal

albal

Guru
Returned last night after 2 days travelling 65 miles. The signage is pants, accom en route B&B scarce.Terrain: ruts,fields,chalk,tree roots,big stones,mud, oh & tarmac. Very enjoyable tho' it was prob meant to do the opposite way i e Ashmore - Lyme Regis. Fantastic views too.
We only start from Lyme as Ashmore is nearer home. The old hack held up weel considering the battering it got.
OS maps ; 116 117 118 were a necessity.
Our next trip will st from Ashmore & head north along the ridgeway

Top Bottom