West Country Way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gert Lush

Hello guys/gals,

I'm new to cycling but have been bitten by the bug and I'm tempted to go away for a tour next year.

I've seen a couple of things I'd be interested in trying. The one I'm favouring is the West Country Way. Starting from Bude, Padstow or Barnstaple, not a 100% sure yet, back to home, Weston-super-Mare. Mainly because I'll be going somewhere and riding back here and not to a train station.

The other is the C2C. Looks lovely but a long, long way away and a train journey back and forth. So although I'd like to do it, maybe not for my first tour.

What I'm asking for is any info on the WCW. As I can't seem to find any info on it. Or any advice on anywhere I could go within a reasonable distance. Am open to any ideas!

A few things. Over about 3-6 days depending on length of route, maybe 30-50miles a day. (Hopefully can do that by then) Although I am not adverse to camping, in fact I love it, probably leaning towards B&Bs more. Sometime about June/July 2016.

Any ideas?

Mike

Glenn

Veteran
http://www.westcountryway.co.uk/map.htm has details also Sustrans has details along with maps

Brains

Legendary Member
Hi
I did did a section of your route a couple of years ago over two full days of cycling, I started at Barnstable, when down the Tarka trail, and then turned west via Sheepwash (nice), Holsworthy to Bude (night stopover) and from there to my parents house near Wadebridge via the Camel trail, another disused rail line

The Tarka trail is disused railway line, easy to do and a great cafe/bunk house at the end by the turn off, and the Camel trail is one of the most popular cycle routes in the country, so loads of stopping places

I followed the sustrans route
http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/tarka-trail
other than the section between Holsworthy and Bude being very hilly it is a good route to follow
You do need to be able to read a map, and you need a bar bag with a map cover in front of you, else in this day and age a GPS track that tells you when to turn

Cavendash

The Camel trail can get VERY busy during the holiday season, also the Tarka trail.
There's also the Granite way up on Dartmoor. You can start from Okehampton.
Or from Tavistock there's a great route up to Yelverton on Dartmoor, and it connects to the Plym trail down to Plymouth.

You've also got miles and miles of amazing cycling up on Exmoor, closer to your home.
The route across Dunkery Beacon above Porlock is stunning.

Happy pedalling!

OP
OP
Gert Lush

Gert Lush

Hi
I did did a section of your route a couple of years ago over two full days of cycling, I started at Barnstable, when down the Tarka trail, and then turned west via Sheepwash (nice), Holsworthy to Bude (night stopover) and from there to my parents house near Wadebridge via the Camel trail, another disused rail line

The Tarka trail is disused railway line, easy to do and a great cafe/bunk house at the end by the turn off, and the Camel trail is one of the most popular cycle routes in the country, so loads of stopping places

I followed the sustrans route
http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/tarka-trail
other than the section between Holsworthy and Bude being very hilly it is a good route to follow
You do need to be able to read a map, and you need a bar bag with a map cover in front of you, else in this day and age a GPS track that tells you when to turn

Are the surfaces good for a road bike or are they more off road?

Brains

Legendary Member
Are the surfaces good for a road bike or are they more off road?
The two ex railway lines are a packed surface with some sort of fine stone, so do-able on a road bike, but you wont be breaking any speed records.
The rest are standard west country roads, suitable for cattle, tractors and landrover's, usual heavy tarmac

Top Bottom