West Country weekend mini-tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
Later this month, the wife and I want to head out on a mini-tour of the west country. We originally were going to cycle the Avon Cycleway, but once we looked at the route, decided against it. We're thinking of cycling down to Bradford upon Avon from Bath, and heading out in that direction, but are unsure of where to go. We are thinking in the 80-90 mile range, leaving on a late Friday afternoon, and returning Sunday. Does anyone have any ideas of where we can head? Quiet roads are best, and don't mind a bit of towpath. But generally speaking a decent surface condition would be ideal, as we both have more road oriented bikes.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Out over the Mendips or maybe across to Avebury for some rollin' countryside? The Wiltshire Cycleway is great. The towpath along the K&A is easy on roadbikes, but mucky after rain.

NeilM

That's quite a cool looking route. I live in Weston-s-Mare so I could easily do a home to home ride on the next Bank Holiday in a couple weeks.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
[QUOTE 4915282, member: 76"]Bath to Bradford on Avon, carry on along the canal to Devizes and then to Avebury is a good shout. You could then go to Marlborough/Pewsey and back along the canal to Bath. That would be a nice trip.[/QUOTE]

Good! Not that different to 4 days I did recently, except I started just off the Colliers Way as @mjr mentioned, went to Monkton Coombe, dropped down onto the canal to Bradford on Avon, Devizes, Pewsey then Avebury. Then I went up and traversed the a Ridgeway. Then did it all again in reverse. 300km/195miles.

You could divert via the Two Tunnels and Bath or do the above in one direction and get a train from Reading back to Bath or Bristol where you may have started if you gave less time or want less distance. So the Bristol to Bath RWP could be an option too.

This area has some of the finest NCN, traffic free routes in the country.

Bodhbh

Guru
[QUOTE 4915282, member: 76"]Bath to Bradford on Avon, carry on along the canal to Devizes and then to Avebury is a good shout. You could then go to Marlborough/Pewsey and back along the canal to Bath. That would be a nice trip.[/QUOTE]

Or head down to Salisbury from Pewsey via Stonehenge and the Wooford Valley (and also using the old Marlborough Road if your bike can handle gravel tracks). Then get the train back, or if you still have miles in the legs, head up the Wylye Valley to Warminster etc and pick up the train on that route. You don't need to book a bike reservation on that train, tho it's first come first served.

Top Bottom