Wet weather challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Okeydokey

It started raining heavy this morning and having never been out in the rain I thought I would conduct a controlled experiment, out I went about 10 miles round trip.
Normal waterproof jacket, shorts, tights and trainers, weird thing is I really enjoyed it, felt like a kid being allowed to play in the puddles. I know the route well and the pot holes which was useful, they were full. Front light dimmed very fast then failed completely, water logged. Rear light went dull but carried on working... just.
I don't have cycling shoes yet but I now get the overshoe thing, if I can find a cheap pair that work with trainers, job jobbed. Normal waterproof jacked Regatta, budget affair kept my core bone dry which I was very pleased with. I could see perfectly well, being a glasses wearer thought this might prove an issue, no problem, just my helmet with no peak and somehow although wet my vision was not impaired at all.
So glad a tried it when and how I did, could easily have been a disaster if I had been caught out at a distance. I find it a bit like the hill climbing thing, once you understand something of the challenge easy peasy to prep for.
I'm definitely not a fair weather cyclist, see what happens when it gets colder :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
It started raining heavy this morning and having never been out in the rain I thought I would conduct a controlled experiment, out I went about 10 miles round trip.
Normal waterproof jacket, shorts, tights and trainers, weird thing is I really enjoyed it, felt like a kid being allowed to play in the puddles. I know the route well and the pot holes which was useful, they were full. Front light dimmed very fast then failed completely, water logged. Rear light went dull but carried on working... just.
I don't have cycling shoes yet but I now get the overshoe thing, if I can find a cheap pair that work with trainers, job jobbed. Normal waterproof jacked Regatta, budget affair kept my core bone dry which I was very pleased with. I could see perfectly well, being a glasses wearer thought this might prove an issue, no problem, just my helmet with no peak and somehow although wet my vision was not impaired at all.
So glad a tried it when and how I did, could easily have been a disaster if I had been caught out at a distance. I find it a bit like the hill climbing thing, once you understand something of the challenge easy peasy to prep for.
I'm definitely not a fair weather cyclist, see what happens when it gets colder :smile:
You mean the end of this week?

I take it you dried the front light out, without the batteries in it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Rainlegs are a good addition to keep the thighs dry and working well, while dynamo lighting doesn't get waterlogged so easily. I prefer a raincoat with hood.

Last edited by a moderator:
You really need full length mudguards to commute happily in the rain.
Summer waterproofs need to be well vented, underarms and even back.
Footwear is always an issue. My latest acquisition are some lightweight, waterproof mid-height trainers by regatta, from Go Outdoors, no overshoes needed.
Cycling lights should not be affected by rain and you need them in heavier downpours.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I openly and proudly confess to being a fair weather cyclist.
As a lad I used to enjoy cycling in the rain wearing my oilskin cape and S'wester (anyone else??). But not now.
Last week....15 miles out I got caught in the 'hurricane from hell' with just a lightweight rain jacket for protection. Fortunately it was not too cold.
Part way through I found myself openly laughing at myself.

I enjoy riding in the rain. As Spinney says, you need to stay warm but it can be quite exhilarating. You'll also be one of the few riders out as well.

Ihatehills

@Okeydokey, as a fellow glasses wearer, rain really affects my Vision as it collects on my glasses, a peaked cap helps but doesn't completely cure in some conditions misty drizzle is probably the worst, annoying as the getting wet part doesn't really bother me

Goofball