'Whacky' bikes for Suffolk ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
OliverAmoros said:
May I ensure all those in doubt that no offense was intended in my initial post but glad to have inspired such lively chat.

YES! Penny farthings, Unicycles, Trikes, Recumbents, No-wheeled bikes... (ok that last one is 'pushing' it.) Y'know the interesting man powered vehicles is what i'm looking for.

"upwrongs" - like it...

I did see a lad on the local estate a couple of weeks back on a bike with no tyres. Just bare rims. You can imagine the noise that made on a concrete road...

(as a girl, I will pass over the 'man powered vehicles' bit...:angry: HPV, or Human Powered Vehicle is the standard term...)

upwrongs

Yeah, they've only been around for 125 years and still going strong.

Can't believe you lot still have a chip on your shoulder 75 years after a nasty French man said you couldn't play with the big boys;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger said:
upwrongs

Yeah, they've only been around for 125 years and still going strong.

Can't believe you lot still have a chip on your shoulder 75 years after a nasty French man said you couldn't play with the big boys;)

No chips on my shoulder mate, I ate them all!

Come on, you have trouble coping with the modern concept of same sized wheels!:angry:

OP
OP
OliverAmoros

OliverAmoros

Arch said:
(as a girl, I will pass over the 'man powered vehicles' bit...:angry: HPV, or Human Powered Vehicle is the standard term...)

Christ on a bike... it's a bloody minefield - Please pardon my continuing ignorance :laugh:

Fiona N said:
I'll believe anything now I've seen the tandem unicycle :laugh:

There is a recumbent unicycle:

RECUMBNT.jpg
[/IMG]

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Arch said:
It's one of those things. When I worked in cycling promotion, doing tryout roadshows, we'd get asked for 'whacky' bikes for photo ops etc. But bear in mind that 'whacky' often means 'not a BSO or a racing bike', so what they really mean is 'unusual' (which is a fact), rather than 'daft'. Although we could supply any number of daft bikes too.

I assumed he did mean daft... I've had a go on a few of them in my time ... from ones with a joint in the bike between the saddle and the handlebars, a reverse steering one (couldn't cycle that one), and ones that sort of spin ... can't describe it properly.

OP
OP
OliverAmoros

OliverAmoros

Auntie Helen said:
I'm vaguely interested in doing this but can't find a map on any of the links (I'd probably do the 75km). Do you have a link to a GPX file, OliverAmoros?

Hello Auntie Helen. That's super that you're 'vaguely interested' :wahhey:...

A few people have asked for a route to which I usually say it's a fully way-marked route with reguar marshal points and security points. I believe there is a map of the routes on the Stow Lions site but I think the route may have changed slightly. You are also given a map of your chosen route on the day.

Do you think there would be significant advantage in publishing a GPX prior to the ride? I could talk to the powers that be.

Thanks

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
OliverAmoros said:
Hello Auntie Helen. That's super that you're 'vaguely interested' :wahhey:...

A few people have asked for a route to which I usually say it's a fully way-marked route with reguar marshal points and security points. I believe there is a map of the routes on the Stow Lions site but I think the route may have changed slightly. You are also given a map of your chosen route on the day.

Do you think there would be significant advantage in publishing a GPX prior to the ride? I could talk to the powers that be.

Yes, a GPX is a pretty good idea. Firstly, when I did the Suffolk Sunrise there were some places where the route signage wasn't very good but because I had the GPX I knew which way to go (I occasionally met some bemused-looking cyclists). Secondly, it will help people like me decide on which route to do as there may be places we particularly want to visit or hills we would like to avoid; seeing the route enables us to make up our mind. The route on the Stowlions site was only the shorter one, IIRC, and wasn't a GPX so we couldn't see it on the mapping software of our choice.

Top Bottom