Whaley Bridge - Toddbrook Reservoir Damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Windbreaks and/or an enclosed section over the Pennines was considered. The wind break idea surface earlier this century, and at least once more since.

Dropped initially due to the 'Little House on The Prairie.
I believe it's an urban myth that the farm house it still there because the owners refused to sell - it's there because it's built on a fault in the ground, so the land was not suitable for the motorway to go over. I suspect the traffic forecasts were nothing like the volume they experience now.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That's right, it's an Urban Myth.

That film about the Police on the snowy M62 is a nightmare!

tom73

Guru
Total myth @KneesUp is right the land was not suitable for building on. In any case they can't sell up they are tenants Yorkshire water own it and the land they farm.

That film about the Police on the snowy M62 is a nightmare!
It is:okay:
I have it on VHS somewhere, from a (possibly) BBC4 showing
It is an excellent programme, showing the difficulties for all workers on the m/way

On a similar tangent
In Castleford, there's a couple of yards that are owned by fairground ride families
Outside one yard, there's an Atkinson 6x6, that looks like it carries a mobile generator
Little clues, like the brackets & holes on the cab/screen surround, match the B&W photograph, in a book I have about (the A6 over) Shap

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10215302894557909&set=a.10215289212935877&type=3&theater

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10216821378319054&set=p.10216821378319054&type=3&theater

tom73

Guru
Someone on the radio this morning was saying visiter numbers are up inc mini buses turning up to see the dam. So guess some one will be make a bit money out of it can't do any harm to local economy.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There were a couple of people in kayaks trying to get close to the 'plughole' that I was looking at! :eek:

I think that there was a rope or chain barrier to stop them actually going into it, but they got much closer than I would want to...
Yikes - no rope or chain obvious there now! :whistle:

Top Bottom