Whaley Bridge - Toddbrook Reservoir Damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think someone else might have mentioned it earlier in the thread (hopefully NOT forgetful me! :laugh:), but why would you build something like this dam and rely on a spillway to get rid of excess water in an emergency, rather than having a big pipe at the bottom which could be used? It seems crazy to have to pump the water out when gravity could easily do it!

ColinJ

Answering my own question ... I suppose if the outflow were from the bottom of the reservoir then the water flow would be violent and somebody would have to open the sluice gates.

Now I can see the reason for those scary overflows in Ladybower!

Ladybower drain.jpg

Hicky

Guru
In addition to all the emergency services a Coy of Light Dragoon’s from Catterick have been based in Stockport for almost a week going up to the Dam filling sandbags for the effort, a very close personal friend who’s a Whaley resident a Reservist has also been aiding the emergency services.
Ps the Chinook are RAF.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's called the scour valve and I think there is an outlet, you can see some kind of machinery pit on the dam in some pictures.

ColinJ

Ever wondered what's down there?

Spoiler: it's a massive concrete pipe.

Brilliant - thanks!

I cycled past the eastern 'plughole' in 2007. This is what I wrote at the time ...

ColinJ said:
... a few cars shot past me rather too close down there, so when I discovered a wide cyclepath across the road nearer Bamford I decided to ride on that instead. Soon, I heard a funny noise coming from the reservoir to my right so I stopped to check it out. WOW - the world's largest plughole! If you have never seen it, it is well worth going to take a look. A series of stepped large concentric stone circles disappear downwards with water cascading into the void. That's one reservoir you definitely don't want to swim in!

Dave7

Legendary Member
Ever wondered what's down there?

Spoiler: it's a massive concrete pipe.

Fascinating, thanks. Watched half and will watch the rest this afternoon.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
He's also done a shorter video of it flowing at full capacity, the best bit of which is watching him evade detection by stealthily creeping down through the undergrowth to the outflow, like a weird middle aged Yorkshire ninja.

I hate those things, scare the bejeezus out of me! There's one not far from me and you can look into it from a slightly higher angle. When it is flowing in anger it feels almost like it will suck you in just for looking at it.....

He's also done a shorter video of it flowing at full capacity, the best bit of which is watching him evade detection by stealthily creeping down through the undergrowth to the outflow, like a weird middle aged Yorkshire ninja.

Jeremy should be leading opposition to the government, not hiding under a bush.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I hate those things, scare the bejeezus out of me! There's one not far from me and you can look into it from a slightly higher angle. When it is flowing in anger it feels almost like it will suck you in just for looking at it.....
They are like a portal to another dimension. Some poor woman got sucked into one about twenty years ago in California. Doesn't bear thinking about really.

Slightly off topic, but relevant to recent posts. I remember reading in a Sunday supplement a while back, can't remember which one, about a surfing photographer who drowned whilst trying to film a whirlpool from the inside of it! :eek:

The nearest I could find was the Daily Mail's tribute to him. Mad, but I understand his obsession.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...wned-sucked-deadly-WHIRLPOOL-trying-film.html

Top Bottom