Whaley Bridge - Toddbrook Reservoir Damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I wonder if they’ve had to open the sluice gates at Fletcher Moss already?

Not sure yet. The river is over the lower path near the M60, and only the upper path is visible. They will need to open soon if the rain continues

I got my first Wilier from the bike shop in Whaley Bridge.
Looking at the graphics, I have cycled up the road that takes you up to the top of the hill where the reservoir is, and never knew it was there. I guess I was looking at the views on the other side of the valley!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Problem is it keep's changing not helped by fools who keep building on floodplains. 300+ are going up at the back of us who will face a big problem if this extreme weather keeps going.

Same around here - flood plains downstream of Leeds are being built on, yet the plans to ensure the centre of Leeds doesn't flood are reliant on putting measures in place to shift all that water towards those same flood plains...

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

I got my first Wilier from the bike shop in Whaley Bridge.
Looking at the graphics, I have cycled up the road that takes you up to the top of the hill where the reservoir is, and never knew it was there. I guess I was looking at the views on the other side of the valley!

I used to go on the road to macc and Disley regular and never noticed the reservoir. Even took the kids sledging in the memorial park thats right below it. There is another reservoir above Disley near Lyme Park, but you can only see it from the MTB, not in sight of a road.

classic33

Leg End Member
Same around here - flood plains downstream of Leeds are being built on, yet the plans to ensure the centre of Leeds doesn't flood are reliant on putting measures in place to shift all that water towards those same flood plains...
The area behind the station, the "Dalek" and the Halifax have to be vacated. As does Crown Point retail Park. Neville Street also.

tom73

Guru
The press will no doubt have a go why ? what is it taking so long ?, did you not......., why have you not ......
Just seen newsnight and they've already started... Hello it's a bloody big dam full of water its not like in films or on FB things don't happen instantly they have job to do how ever long it takes and 1st things 1st they have duty of care. Boy some are just plan stupid focus on the way everyone is pulling together but what wont sell the papers will it?

tom73

Guru
Spare a thought for all of the emergency workers, environment agency peeps, inspectors, and anyone else who is down there putting themselves in harm's way. It's not a place I'd like to be.

Not forgetting some are volunteers who are already flat out with other flooding elsewhere.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Anyone who uses the A59 between Clitheroe and Preston will have spotted the new housing estate on Mitton Road outside Whalley. It's right on the river Ribble flood plain.

But that's okay because they've built a levee to keep the river out, and in case that gets overwhelmed they've dug a drainage pond with a pump in it. Which is fine until that big storm comes and the power fails.....

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

The dam should be safe, unless there is more rain and the spilway is innundated. That's when you've got the risk of more sub soil going, and if it takes that right hand side further, it will start to go.

The Goyt appears to be taking the excess and we've possibly got a couple of dry days, so won't make flooding worse. Houses have been evacuated in Furness Vale and New Mills. I suspect there will be no-one down Roman Lakes this weekend as that's a flood risk

Last edited:
Top Bottom